Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

2012 JK - it ain't the same!

FYI...

there's been a fair bit of talk on the net about not being able to re-gear the new 2012 JK's except at the dealer, i think it all started with this facebook post form Competition4x4

Just a heads up to all you new 2012 JK Jeep Wrangler owners: DO NOT RE-GEAR THE AXLES ON THE NEW 2012 JK.

The new JK's are equipped with an A580 transmission and new controller that senses any change in gear ratio. Once sensed, it automatically puts the Jeep into limp mode. AEV is currently working on an override with a planned release of late September. Don't re-gear your vehicle until then

the last i heard, AEV was planning to have a programmer capable of fixing this issue by mid september, but currently it still isn't ready: http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showpost.php?p=22740&postcount=8

just further examples of how vehicles are becoming so computerized that the average guy won't be able to work on them at all soon. i forsee legislation in the near future requiring even more cooperation from the manufacturers with third parties to guarantee that the dealers aren't the only ones with the tools/knowledge to fix your car.

also a local shop owner told me that some of the lift kits out there might not work with the new Pentastar engine due to how it sits. He specifically mentioned the RockKrawler long arm needing some slight re-design.

so if you want a new 2012 Wrangler, prepare for a few issues due to being on the bleeding edge.

crud I'll go find a 20 year old YJ and call it Jeep.I like OBDII system for diagnostics but everything else is getting out of hand.

Stuff like this is why I unfortunately don't ever see owning another new Jeep in my future. I am hoping my next Jeep will be a 4 door JK, but the only parts of it that will be from a JK are the frame and body.

As a friend of mine once said...... "Only use enough technology to SOLVE the problem. Unless, of course, you're BMW then use enough technology to CAUSE the problem." :D

well I am glad I have a 2008 JKU. I am planning for a hemi 6.4L mds swap. I wont be doing it myself. I want the new crate engine and transmission and it to be flawlessly put in. so it will cost me but it will be done right and I will have 530HP! nice.

I'm keeping my TJ. No electronic nannying.

Why would you design that function into a Jeep? Makes no sense to me.