Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

03 Grand Cherokee 4.7L HO Engine Replacement

Wow that is shiny, see you tomorrow. George:cool:

Hoo boy,

I can just see those little horses running around in there. You look like you are now out of the destruct phase and into the construct phase.

Good luck.

I must say that your testicular fortitude is grander than mine!!!! I will be watching this to the end, wish I could help.

Update: I called G to let him know the new adjustable fuel pressure regulator for Clifford was delivered, and although he was happy to hear that, he said: "We're just right now ready to pull the engine out, so I gotta go!"

I told him they better get pictures...

Diane :rolleyes:

Number 7 and In-A-Rut bustin their testicles for tha cause:

P1120402.JPG

the unwieldy beast:

P1120404.JPG

P1120413.JPG

productive day, thanks G and Mike for the help!

first we struggled for a bit to get the y-pipe off this morning, then after that things went fairly well. one other snag was getting to the middle set of tranny-to-engine bolts, but george finally finagled a million extensions and wobblers and such in there. the only unexpected was finding that my not-so-old engine mounts where completely trashed and so did a quick trip to pick up some new ones.

after the y-pipe, we still had to do starter, inspection cover, torque converter bolts, tranny-engine bolts, engine mounts, take the bad boy out, remove the oil pan (gasket was a bit of a pain), exhuast headers and timing cover.

then we had to clean all the gasket mess off the oil pan and exhaust headers. also cleaned up the timing cover and valve covers really well.

put all the new sensors into the new engine, moved over some bolts and studs (including the lift studs), put on timing cover (including new front main seal), water pump, valve covers, exhaust headers, and then it was 6ish. so we cleaned up half way, got everything put back in the garage at least.

tomorrow need to put new engine on the lift and put on the oil pan (and windage tray and pickup), dipstick, and put it in the jeep, and bolt it together. then we can really start putting things back together.

You guys are machines! Nice work!

today:

new heater hoses, extended tranny breather tube, oil pan on (and windage tray and pickup tube), crank pos sensor, dipstick tube, engine mounts, then engine went in. took a little while of messing round to get it lined up, had to pop the hood struts off to lift the hood a little higher. then we had one engine mount bolt (frame side) that just wouldn't line up and go in well... probably wasted at least a 1/2 hour messing around with that. finally got it. washed intake and removed old gaskets.

replacing O2 sensors in y-pipe, 3 of the 4 came out no problem, one had welded itself in. half the threads on it stayed in the bung and twisted off the sensor. ugh... i have a new y-pipe coming next week, but wanted to get this thing running this weekend.

meanwhile, G was getting the engine to tranny bolts on and then...

time to rotate crankshaft to get t-converter bolts on. throw bolt in the end of shaft, uh oh, it's not turning well after a 1/4 inch or so... power it in a little more, crap - take it out.... ah douple crap, it's got some mangled threads. maybe threads on the old shaft were messy from using puller (and then putting bolt back in to turn shaft to remove t-converter bolts), or maybe new shaft is messed up inside.

don't have a die big enough to clean up the bolt. tried to clean it up with file and another nut, but the bolt's hardened and it just cleaned up a little. tried putting into crankshaft again a little further - uh oh, now it turns hard going in and trying to take it back out... pull it out, threads are HOSED, just mashed all up.

call Ace and Napa for a 14mm - 1.50 pitch tap and die, nothing. no-one has a new bolt, dealer can't get one till next week. G says call Harbor Freight, i look on their website and sure enough they have a giant tap/die set with the right size. so we run to Harbor Freight and the giant metric tap/die set is on sale for $65. cheap price to pay to not have to pull a crank.

came back, cleaned up bolt, cleaned up crank. bolt glides in like butter now, all is well.

then t-converter bolts back, starter, rear breather vents and tube coming off heads, put back hot-shower heat exchanger, connect heater hoses. put on harmonic balancer and throw on a couple spark plugs. time for dinner!

tomorrow morning try to fix up that y-pipe thread, throw on plugs, intake, fuel rail, coils, wires, front accessories, and front end and hopefully try to crank it by end of day if can get the y-pipe threads fixed.

Holy Cow! But, 'Yay', what K said! :rolleyes: