Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

03 Grand Cherokee 4.7L HO Engine Replacement

Nice work guys! Glad shell be back on the road soon!

already put over a hundred miles on her since sunday, mostly going well - only 2 issues since the swap:

- i put in a rebuilt power steering pump and reservoir from NAPA, monday G came over to look at some suspension stuff for me and we noticed the reservoir was cracked and leaking. G put my old unit back on for me and problem solved.

- then yesterday afternoon i got my A/C re-charged and soon as i got home i noticed a leak in one of the rubber hoses. strangely it's the discharge line that got taken off with the compressor and sat in the garage (versus one of the ones that stayed in the engine bay and had 2 engines knocked into it), so not sure how it got a pinhole leak....

the hose is a special order from all the parts stores (1 week out), and even the dealer needed at least a week to get it - and wanted $120!

P1120431.JPG

today i called HosePower's Phoenix location and they said they could fix it and turn it around in 24 hours. unfortunately when i got there they told me "oops, we can't do aluminum crimps", but they were nice and sent me down the street to AAPAK, who were also nice and replaced the rubber section of hose in 20 minutes for $50, and gave me a couple HNBR o-rings for putting the line back too.

threw back on the line and went back over to U-Fix-It Automotive and had them evacuate and re-charge the system yet again. so far so good!

- oh, and i need to modify my mount for my "oven". i guess the engine was sitting completely different when i put that in (due to those old busted motor mounts), the oven lid hits now and just needs to be moved back a bit.

already put over a hundred miles on her since sunday, mostly going well - only 2 issues since the swap:

- i put in a rebuilt power steering pump and reservoir from NAPA, monday G came over to look at some suspension stuff for me and we noticed the reservoir was cracked and leaking. G put my old unit back on for me and problem solved.

- then yesterday afternoon i got my A/C re-charged and soon as i got home i noticed a leak in one of the rubber hoses. strangely it's the discharge line that got taken off with the compressor and sat in the garage (versus one of the ones that stayed in the engine bay and had 2 engines knocked into it), so not sure how it got a pinhole leak....

the hose is a special order from all the parts stores (1 week out), and even the dealer needed at least a week to get it - and wanted $120!

P1120431.JPG

today i called HosePower's Phoenix location and they said they could fix it and turn it around in 24 hours. unfortunately when i got there they told me "oops, we can't do aluminum crimps", but they were nice and sent me down the street to AAPAK, who were also nice and replaced the rubber section of hose in 20 minutes for $50, and gave me a couple HNBR o-rings for putting the line back too.

threw back on the line and went back over to U-Fix-It Automotive and had them evacuate and re-charge the system yet again. so far so good!

- oh, and i need to modify my mount for my "oven". i guess the engine was sitting completely different when i put that in (due to those old busted motor mounts), the oven lid hits now and just needs to be moved back a bit.

You are doing excellent work!

If you come over and put mine in I will make you dinner and give you a big hug! You can bring the crack team of Mike and George!

You are doing excellent work!

If you come over and put mine in I will make you dinner and give you a big hug! You can bring the crack team of Mike and George!

Worst case scenario, we're going to set him on Clifford's roof rack like Aunt Edna in the movie 'Vacation'. :P

Wow. great team effort fellas. glad you're back on the trail K.

Worst case scenario, we're going to set him on Clifford's roof rack like Aunt Edna in the movie 'Vacation'. :P

Wow. great team effort fellas. glad you're back on the trail K.

made it back from about a 1,000 mile trip. only problem was a very small oil leak from the new oil pressure sensor. thought maybe i didn't tighten it enough... but yesterday removed it and found it to be defective. the plastic part wasn't sealed well to the metal housing (you could spin the plastic inside the metal). put the old one back on and all is well so far!

made it back from about a 1,000 mile trip. only problem was a very small oil leak from the new oil pressure sensor. thought maybe i didn't tighten it enough... but yesterday removed it and found it to be defective. the plastic part wasn't sealed well to the metal housing (you could spin the plastic inside the metal). put the old one back on and all is well so far!

so threads like this make me glad that i decided to just get a whole rebuilt engine: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/03-wj-4-7l-engine-rebuild-nightmare-cam-swap-tb-bore-1361599/

he started with an unknown-cause combustion leak just like me, but decided to tear into the engine with hopes of just a headgasket repair. he ended up needing a piston, heads, a new block, and on and on... poor dude! he even had to tear it open twice because the block crack wasn't noticed the first time.