Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

03 Grand Cherokee 4.7L HO Engine Replacement

Kris, I seem to remember recently that you had some issues with some of the gaskets (it may have been a different build)? If so what did you come up with? I have to take the intake off to fit up a gas injection system, dont know if I should go genuine or aftermarket?

Quick question- what size engine hoist did you use? In other words, any idea how much the 4.7 weighs? I've also seen some guys take it out with the transmission attached as well. I assume a heavier duty hoist would be needed if I went this route. Thanks!

Kris, I seem to remember recently that you had some issues with some of the gaskets (it may have been a different build)? If so what did you come up with? I have to take the intake off to fit up a gas injection system, dont know if I should go genuine or aftermarket?

sorry for the late reply, didn't see this sooner - i've had problems with getting the valve cover gaskets to stay sealed with this engine. i've tried the black ones that came with it, fel-pro blue silicone feeling ones, and mopar ones - still can't get it to stay sealed. also checked the breathers and pcv stuff to make sure that was all ok, but still have valve cover leaks!

Quick question- what size engine hoist did you use? In other words, any idea how much the 4.7 weighs? I've also seen some guys take it out with the transmission attached as well. I assume a heavier duty hoist would be needed if I went this route. Thanks!

we used a regular 2 ton hoist that you can get from most auto parts stores, harbor freight, etc. we did have to put it out on it's farthest extension hole which lowers the rating to a 1/2 ton. this was because it didn't have enough reach otherwise - i'm not sure how the hell people manage to do the entire thing with the radiator still in there - maybe they have extra long hoists. if you are taking the tranny out with the engine then you might want a higher rated hoist so that the farthest extension is rated 1 ton or more.