Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD

09/2011: Top of the World

Here a view pictures of my trail run to 'Top of the World', a viewpoint northeast of Moab, UT. This was part of my 'overheating' tour in september 2011 :D.

At Dewey Bridge I had to take Entrada Bluffs Road to the right:

comp1_P1010947.jpg

After a view miles a sign pointed to the trail start:

comp1_P1010954.jpg

Then I was soon on slickrock:

comp1_P1010960.jpg

comp1_P1010965.jpg

comp1_P1010966.jpg

After some time I reached Top of the World. The outside temperature was around 70 F and I had to run the complete trail with heater fully turned on to keep the temperature at around 3/4. But the view here was worth this effort.

comp1_P1010987.jpg

comp1_P1020003.jpg

comp1_P1010990.jpg

comp1_P1020017.jpg

On the way down there is a different trail, which connects back to the main trail. It also had some nice ledges:

comp1_P1020022.jpg

comp1_P1020025.jpg

comp1_P1020031.jpg

Back on Entrada Bluffs Road I started my way back to SFO.

This was a short fun trail, which was not too difficult. Some more pictures and a gpx file can be found under: Top of the World

Great shots!

i can't believe you ran with the heat on the whole time - crazy!

is it back in the shop? have they solved the overheating?

i can't believe you ran with the heat on the whole time - crazy!

Yeah, it was even worse, because after I was one week in the Arizona Strip also my A/C stopped working, so that I did not have any cooling at all on the way back to SFO

is it back in the shop? have they solved the overheating?

It was in the shop and is now back at my friends place as the shop guy did not have time to work on it due to other swap jobs.

My friend has a friend, who is a race driver (don´t ask me, who he is) and he discussed the complete problem with this guy. This guy was starting to laugh and said, this is typical for all this engine swappers. They are implementing big engines, but all forget, that the cooling system needs to be adapted for this, too.

So now the plan is to get a race car cooler in the jeep (somebody from the PHX region already got one installed in that shop for testing purposes).

This might solve the high speed overheating problem.

Additionally, as also suggested by George, a stronger fan should be put in, to handle the low speed overheating.

As a support for this fan, an additional electrical pusher fan is in discussion.

The snorkel should also be installed now (this was already the plan from the beginning, but the shop did not get the parts) to get down the intake air temperatures and finally, as the engine compartment is pretty sealed, the hood should get some louvers and the skids under the engine compartment should maybe also get some louvers kind of cuts to get rid of the dissipation heat.

As I am coming back in march, I hope all this things are done and the engine is running in an acceptable temp range.

... otherwise my wife will kill me :rolleyes:.