Sign in to follow this  
peshaw48

Fuel pump questions??????????

I think the fuel pump may have gone out on my TJ (2004) and I need to know a few things. I SHOULD be able to hear the system pressure up upon turning my key on right? I turned my key on with my son under the jeep and there are no pump noises.

I found out the pump is in the tank, is it hard to get to? Is there anything else I have to do as far as the air in the system when I change it? Is there somthing else that I need to check before tearing into the tank?

Yes, there is gas in it.

It ran yesterday, and doesnt run today.

It turns over.

All the fuses seem OK.

Switching the A/C relay for the fuel pump relay didnt change it. (same part # relay)

sounds like you checked most everything... one last thing to check is that there is a electrical connector somewhere near the tank (for the pump), be sure that is connected well and that the wires going into the connector are not loose.... we had those wires come loose for one guy on a trip once.

if you have a multimeter and a wiring diagram from a haynes or factory manual, you can check and make sure you are getting power all the way back to that connector too before you pull the tank...

KSmith is correct. I would check power first as it is obvisously far easier than dropping the tank. If you must drain the tank, let me know. I have a checklist that you should follow to ensure safety when working with tanks. If you are slightly mechanically inclind, dropping the tank is not that hard.

Let me know Phil.

Thanks for the help guys, one more ? though. I just noticed that my gas guage is not working anf the gas light is on. Could this be a related problem, and its electrical? Or would fuel pump failure cause the gauge to not work?

i believe the gas level sending unit and the pump are all on a single connector, so one more indicator that you may have connection issues

I cant believe this, the problem was 3 wires that go into the top of the transfer case above the rear yoke. The coating was rubbed off and when the wires rubbed the t case it would cause a short, some how stopping the fuel pump and gas guage. What a pain in the butt! Thanks for stopping by last night George and Diane.

I cant believe this, the problem was 3 wires that go into the top of the transfer case above the rear yoke. The coating was rubbed off and when the wires rubbed the t case it would cause a short, some how stopping the fuel pump and gas guage. What a pain in the butt! Thanks for stopping by last night George and Diane.

No problem Phil, You did a great job. George:cool::D

KSmith is correct. I would check power first as it is obvisously far easier than dropping the tank. If you must drain the tank, let me know. I have a checklist that you should follow to ensure safety when working with tanks. If you are slightly mechanically inclind, dropping the tank is not that hard.

Let me know Phil.

I think the fuel pump may have gone out on my TJ (2004) and I need to know a few things. I SHOULD be able to hear the system pressure up upon turning my key on right? I turned my key on with my son under the jeep and there are no pump noises.

I found out the pump is in the tank, is it hard to get to? Is there anything else I have to do as far as the air in the system when I change it? Is there somthing else that I need to check before tearing into the tank?

Yes, there is gas in it.

It ran yesterday, and doesnt run today.

It turns over.

All the fuses seem OK.

Switching the A/C relay for the fuel pump relay didnt change it. (same part # relay)

sorry for banging this 2 years old thread i hope that is okay with you guys. i've already done most of peshaw48 did and my last resort is dropping my tank. GRUNT can you send me the checklist of yours so i wont mess up while doing that work? as soon as you posted it here i will be starting with it. sigh.

sorry for banging this 2 years old thread i hope that is okay with you guys. i've already done most of peshaw48 did and my last resort is dropping my tank. GRUNT can you send me the checklist of yours so i wont mess up while doing that work? as soon as you posted it here i will be starting with it. sigh.

Whatever you do, do not get the Airtex pump:poop:. I installed one and it was so loud I kept thinking something was wrong with my fuel system. I got a Bosch fuel pump kit and all is good. George:cool::D

I don't think you have to apologize for hitting an old thread that answers questions or gives solutions to problems. That is why there is a search engine in the Forum. It helps avoid duplicate threads for the same problems. Further, someone else may need to read this since I am sure you will post up the solution to your problem. :D

Good Luck.