Sign in to follow this  
thatoneguyaz

Easy trails

Apache Trail why does that sound familiar....

We used to run a road called Tortilla Flats....We drove "spiritedly" around this area. Would that be out by apache trail?

yes, if you stay on this road past tortilla flats it goes past Canyon lake and Apache lake and follows the river to Roosevelt Lake. There are a few places to play with your 4x4 but not many, if you google it there is alot of info.

For the OP thatoneguyaz,

I think that is what this wash is called.

Needle Point to Bartlett Dam road - this is nearly in-town. take Dynamite road east out of Scottsdale till it T's into Ft. McDowell Road. Head north to the last recreation parking area along the Verde River, then there is a wash heading north and slightly west out of there that is a legal trail that will take you to Bartlett Dam road.

It is in my backyard, if you want to go, let me know ( in keeping with the axiom, Don't go alone, even in a well equipped jeep).

This wash is very easy...but scenic and easy to find.

More later.

SOOOOOOO Sunday night I went out to Table Mesa. I had no idea where I was going so I just wheeled around a bit. I remember a year or two ago going with my buddy and he had to crawl across the river bed, but now there is like a paved road across. I went down and around and past where the bulldozer is, the one that made the road. Kept on going...Pretty much had no idea where to go. IN FACT I coudln't find the entrance where you have to take the fence down, luckily there was a lifted wrangler out there too and he stopped and I ended up following him in. Next time, I think I need a trail guide :P

most of the table mesa area is real rock-crawling trails that you have to know just which wash to head up into to find. as you saw though, there are also some graded roads to explore. i don't think there is much of any in-between stuff there.

look up the Florence Junction area, there are also extreme trails there, but more easy going stuff to explore too. especially lookup the Box Canyon trail. it's an easier trail, but still might be a bit much till you have disconnects and armor.

also, one of my favorite areas in the state is FR-300 aka Rim Road (north of Payson) - it's just a forest road but the scenery is amazing. it connects to a nearly endless network of other forest roads. there are a few hidden in there that might need 4wd, but 99% of it is just graded gravel.

Have checked out Box Canyon?

Yeah, for some reason someone told me table mesa was doable stock. Not sure which part they were talking about lol. I ended up going down a narrow road with huge pot holes every 2 seconds...... Even bottomed out the Jeep once. Scared the ****tt out of my girlfriend, lol. So yeah.

I will definetly do some research on Box Canyon and the Rim Road you talked about. I think a day up north that direction this weekend is in order. The weather is supposed to be nice I usually can only go on Sundays, cause thats my only real day off.:rolleyes:

Apache Trail, or Castle hot springs, or if your looking for a longer run the Senator Highway from Crown King to Prescott is great. The trail guides are a good idea, also fwiw a good map or GPS should be in any trail rig, a wrong turn on an unfamiliar trail can ruin a good day.

I did the Senator about one year ago. Used to do it a lot until I got involved in my trail work. Anyway, it has really gone downhill. Not even challenging. Just annoyingly bumpy. I think it took me three hours plus to go from the Mayer-Goodwin Road junction to Crown King.

WOW Box Canyon must have changed after reading your link. I haven't done it since the early 2000's but it was easy then. Unless you're driving a footlocker with wheels (Hummer) or some other oversized grandiose parking lot hopper.

It sure is beautiful though. I would come in from the North and after getting to the railroad, turn around and go back - not really having any desire to exit by the prison. :eek: There are lots of offshoot trails around there, and a lot of old mines as well.