Sign in to follow this  
Jklee

SYE question

I have a np242 that keeps popping out of four low. I have tried the linkage and a couple other "easy" fixes that haven't worked. So I looked into a rebuilt kit and there are a couple out there but when I looked into a SYE kit they only make a "hack and tap" type. So my question is, what is that? Like everything else I have read that some say they are fine and others sat they are prone to fail. If I understood what the difference was it might help. I googled it but i still dont get it. I am thinking of just going with a np231 that has an abundance of parts and kits. Thanks

tom woods makes a 242 "real" SYE, give him a call (his website sucks, but he does make one, 4xshaft.com). the 242 isn't as popular as a 231, but it is a good case. however, if there is something major wrong inside (like teeth chewed up on a gear) then you might as well swap to the dead-simple 231 if you can find one for a good price.

as far as hack-n-tap, i ran a one on my 231 in the XJ for a couple years with no issues. i think it all depends on how hard you plan to beat on the thing.

I also had a hack and tap on two of my jeeps with no problems. If your case pops out of low a SYE will not help. I had the same popping out of low on Dianes XJ. It turned out to be the linkage was out of adjustment because the trans mount was worn out collapsed sending the trans and case to sit down about an inch and a half. I changed the mount and adjusted the linkage and no more problem. George:cool:

I even tried disconnecting the linkage completely and trying to manually putting it in to four low but it still pops out. The sye question is in refrence to the decision to fix and keep the 242 or swap in the 231. If the hack and tap was a bad idea and the rebuilt kit was two hundred bucks it might be better to just swap in a 231. My jeep is funny, every time I get some cash together to buy some body protection something else breaks.

I think the 231 is the way to go. They are all over the place for not much money. I saw one on craigslist a couple of days ago that had the SYE on it. Make sure the input shaft is the same length as your t-case. George:cool:

"Hack and tap" refers to the procedure to eliminate the slip yoke on a slip yoke equipped transfer case such as the NP242 and NP231. You use a hacksaw to cut off the end of the output shaft and then you use a drill and a tap to make a threaded hole to attach the fixed yoke in place of the slip yoke. Here's a link to a description of the procedure:

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/84jeepxj/sye.html

Here's a description from Stu Olsen's web site of the procedure to install a replacement shaft instead of hacking and tapping your existing output shaft:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/sye/sye-1.htm

The purpose of the SYE procedure is to move the slip yoke from your transfer case to the driveshaft. This enables you to have more lift without causing driveshaft vibrations. It has nothing to do with your transfer case popping out of four low. Do you think it is an internal problem with the transfer case or a problem with the linkage?? I suggest you look into replacing your stock linkage with a Novack cable linkage:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm

I was able to find someone doing a hack and tap on YouTube so I understand that now. Not sure why I hear so many bad things about it as it seems to be strong. Probably not as strong as an actual sye kit. The four low might not be poping out like I described earlier. I disconnected the linkage and engaged the four low manually and it still would go in and out. Looks like a worn out 242. The reason I asked about the hack and tap is because I was told they where pron to problems and was also told that was my only option for the 242. Being that I may need a sye in the future I didn't want to rebuild my 242 and then have to swap it for a 231 if the hack and tap for the 242 was a bad idea. So now I have to decide on rebuilding the 242 (which I can get a real sye kit for) or go to a 231.

The kit is 130-200$ but I would prob have to pay someone to do it because it looks like you need a press. A 231 is around the same price and I can do it myself. I am not factoring in a sye because I run without one now so I can hold off.

I see if you can find a 231 with a sye already installed. I found one on VJC for $300 and one on CL for $350 then at pick-a-part for $130 with driveshaft. Last I knew the first 2 where still for sale might be willing to deal by now. GL, Oh and if you end up at a junk yard looking for a ZJ steering linkage for your bro keep an eye might get lucky ;)

Yea your find was amazing! Doubt I will find that again....

...The kit is 130-200$ but I would prob have to pay someone to do it because it looks like you need a press...

i've done hack-n-tap on a 231 and a "real" sye on a 242HD and didn't need any special tools beyond retaining ring pliers for doing the full one - what are you seeing that might need a press?