Sign in to follow this  
Jklee

Rear suspension question

I know this might be hard to answer without seeing the suspension but lets give it a try anyway.

The goal with my jeep is to be a expicrawler. The problem I am having is when I am loaded for more of a expedition trip the jeep gets super squirmy in the rear at freeway speeds. So from the research I have been doing (and from what i am told) it seems these could be the causes.

1. The rear suspension is a link set up. It has two lowers and the y upper. The idea is that this type link set up causes it to get squirly. This fix I guess would be to have the rear redone but that would suck because of the cost, being that I only recently had the lift installed.

2. I have a lockright in the rear so its constantly locked fighting against suspension causing the loose feel in the rear. This would also be a bummer because we all know what a ARB costs but would much rather do this than redo rear suspension.

Finally I get to the questions:

Are there any other causes for loose feeling in the rear?

Do you guys agree with one or both of those causes and could I get away with doing one over the other?

I was wondering why I couldn't go with a stiffer spring or maybe a acos spacer to adjust it from when I have the extra weight in it? In the grand scheme of things I am just trying to get as much real world info before I drop a bunch of coin again. Thanks

Just to add to number 1. The rear suspension design I should go with is a more traditional four link.

#1, Your link suspension is fine as long as the bushings are in good shape. The load part tells me you might need a good set of gas charged shocks.

#2 If you have a lockright in the rear it will get squirrely on you.

The first things you need to check are the bushings. The second is make sure you run gas charged shocks. Do not mess with your factory link suspension. George:cool:

i'm certainly not qualified to give suspension design advice, but curious about a few things...

do you still have a front and/or rear swaybars?

how is your alignment? is the toe just right and everything else square? if you have any issue at all, then it might just be exaggerated when loaded uneven.

in the rear does your design have that upper "a-arm" sorta thing like the WJ, with a ball-joint on the top of the axle? or is it a custom suspension?

i know an automatic locker can certainly make you pull one direction when accelerating, and they have there annoyances, but i've never heard of one causing any problems when going in straight line under even speed?

on thought for you though if the back currently squats really bad when loaded, then maybe evening that out is part of the answer. yes, you could run stiffer springs or you might consider something like this to just level things out when it's loaded: http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/airlift-1000

that way you in effect have stiffer springs when you want (inflate the bags), but when deflated you still have soft flexy springs.

hopefully one of the experienced fabricator members will chime in on this for you!

It does have front swaybar but none in rear. The suspension is custom but was told by builder that it's like one of Clayton's. It does get squirly at one speed going straight. All the bushings are all good still brand new. I never thought of the rear swaybar! That's prob the cheapest thing to at least try. Ksmith did/do you have any issues like this with your wj? I have seen a couple pics where u look loaded?

It does have front swaybar but none in rear. The suspension is custom but was told by builder that it's like one of Clayton's. It does get squirly at one speed going straight. All the bushings are all good still brand new. I never thought of the rear swaybar! That's prob the cheapest thing to at least try. Ksmith did/do you have any issues like this with your wj? I have seen a couple pics where u look loaded?

every time i lifted it or put bigger tires on it, my first reaction was to notice how much more body-roll there would be, especially at freeway speeds. each time, i'd promise myself that i was going to rig up a custom rear sway bar solution with disconnects. i still haven't done it though, as i always just get used to it. however, it currently absolutely does require the front sway bar be hooked up at highway speeds or it's like i'm chasing a drunk squirrel down the road!

also, since the JK axle swap, i've had handling decline a bit. it doesn't matter whether loaded or not, but i just have to keep correcting the wheel a tiny bit all the time, it doesn't track str8 by itself.

recently G and i measured things and found that the front is toed out slightly and that one side's wheelbase is slightly longer (i.e. one or more axles are sitting skewed). i'm hoping that fixing these issues this week will help.

if that doesn't fix it, then it's likely my caster. the front axle is set at an optimal balance between caster and pinion angles (due to vibes), so there's not much i can do with that besides have the knuckles and perches cut-off and rotated.

My 1st thoughts are that the suspension mods you alluded to, are most likely the major culprit, but not knowing what you have for sure, that may be incorrect, as some suspension mods are better than others at reasonably preserving OEM handling performance.

#1, Your link suspension is fine as long as the bushings are in good shape. The load part tells me you might need a good set of gas charged shocks.

#2 If you have a lockright in the rear it will get squirrely on you.

The first things you need to check are the bushings. The second is make sure you run gas charged shocks. Do not mess with your factory link suspension. George:cool:

Agree!

some things to consider. any clunking in the rear from when hitting a major bump that unweights the rear suspension? I had to replace the upper rear ball joint. it sits on top of the rear diff (assuming you have a WJ).

I had this problem and it made a difference. suspesion system is quite good as factory.

I also ran without a swaybar and I found it was very squirrely. I recommend having it on all the time. provides just enough control even when on the trail and does not interfere with articulation.