Sign in to follow this  
asphalt assault

'08 JEEP JKU rubicon - build thread

I have been a member for awhile. I have not contributed much at all. I have been watching mainly. i must say this is a great community. I feel safe to make a build thread here as I feel people will provide info to help and it may help others.

First choice of vehicle. I wanted a v-8 so I started exploring a WJ. this is a great vehicle and is very capable and you can get the v-8. after I started I aborted it for no other reason other than the time commitment to build as alot of the parts you have to build yourself and you need to put better axles under eventually. plus for my goals for offroad capability the vehicle would not fit in my garage. rather than modifying the garage (I seriousley had started drawing up plans) I decided to explore a different vehicle.

that prompted the purchase of a jeep JKU Rubicon. before I bought the jeep i made a lift kit purchase. it was a used 4" lift teraflex lift 8 adjustable arms and monster track bars. then I found the jeep. here it is stock.

CIMG4946.jpg

then I put steps on that bolt to the frame. I can jack the vehicle up on these no worrys.

CIMG5357.jpg

CIMG5410.jpg

CIMG5408.jpg

CIMG5412.jpg

CIMG5411.jpg

CIMG5413.jpg

the biggest drawback in a JKU is break-over clearence. I seemed to get hung up on everything. far more trouble than the WJ and XJ i have had. a regular JK wrangler (2 door) would not have near the issues that I did.

so next we did front axle strengthening and the lift install with wheels. the wheels are Mickey Thompson classic II with 33" rubber. good rubber but I want 37"s. the lift was said to be made for that max tire size. one thing I know is that when I got one tire size is that I always want to go bigger on previous vehicles. so the plan was to get the biggest I could get. that way I would save money in the long run...... I was wrong. you will see why soon enough.

here is a jeep I saw with envy.... :P

CIMG5812.jpg

CIMG5813.jpg

so the axle build and lift....

drain oil and pull the shafts. blow out axle tubes to start. then wire brush the rust away at the end of the tubes and test fit chromoly sleeves. if your thinking of beefier shafts then you may want to consider exo beefing up the tubes. kits are available to do that. this will allow heavier thicker shafts. I have been told it is a problem later on. I am ok with the inner sleeve design.

CIMG5814.jpg

CIMG5815.jpg

Drill holes in tubes. Tip - when drilling metal drill slow and use cutting oil for drilling and a good quality bit. we drilled pilot holes then went bigger. drill top bottom and on the sides where ever possible. then just weld to fill the holes back up. weld the end and done. make sure your not up against the diff seals to much to interfere with sealing.

CIMG5817.jpg

CIMG5818.jpg

CIMG5819.jpg

CIMG5822.jpg

CIMG5832.jpg

then weld on gussets. I used EVO reinforcement kit. nice stuff. you can see one top gusset here.

CIMG5819.jpg

finished job and painted

CIMG5905.jpg

lower control arm skid from the front and a pic from the side

CIMG5907.jpg

CIMG5904.jpg

putting in the lift....

front

CIMG5836.jpg

comparing stock shocks to the 6"lift shocks from terraflex.

CIMG5838.jpg

I recommend 6" lift shocks. you have to tweak the suspension to make use of them. I have the bumpstomps cut to use these fully on the compression stroke. the swaybar links have to be disconnected or extended. I will extend mine as I like the swaybar controll maintained in the rear and limit to suspension articulation to be provided buy the sway bar links vs the shocks. Just IMO that is.

rear suspension

CIMG5839.jpg

CIMG5855.jpg

CIMG5845.jpg

also seen here is the beefy aluminum muffler skid plate. it is painted black.

other pics....

CIMG5839.jpg

aluminium skid plate and various parts reconditioned.

CIMG5851.jpg

CIMG5850.jpg

Mickey thompson classic II 17x9 wheels 3.75 back spacing wrapped with 33" tires.

CIMG5848.jpg

Diff covers... solid axle diff covers are a great value. only thing I dont like is that you have to measure your fluid as you fill as the oil fill plug is raised for more extreme pinion angles.

CIMG5841.jpg

had bumpers sand blasted. then I primed and covered with truck box liner using spray cans. love it. get a scratch from the trail, then just respray the area. cant even tell.

CIMG5830.jpg

CIMG5830.jpg

KC lights and Superwinch EPi9 9,000lbs winch

CIMG5901.jpg

CIMG5900.jpg

well need bigger tires IMO....LOL

CIMG5874.jpg

CIMG5873.jpg

done... before tires.... yeah yeah we are never done.....

CIMG5899.jpg

So 37" tires came and were installed. as you will see I needed to trim from bumper.

CIMG6094.jpg

CIMG6096.jpg

0512111901a.jpg

so the plasma cutter came out. then just touched it up... easy

aug2011114.jpg

aug2011117.jpg

aug2011162.jpg

aug2011161.jpg

so my problem going with 37" tires was that although the lift was made for it the bumbers were not. mainly the front bumper.

more to come.

- headlamp upgrade

- communications ... the cb radio

- interior mods

- miscelaneous offroad pics

- maybe that WJ I had

- the wish list! yeah that never ends.....

sweet!

those steps do look very functional and beefy.

have you had any mechanical issues with it? do you have to use a block heater up there when it gets really cold?

sweet!

those steps do look very functional and beefy.

have you had any mechanical issues with it? do you have to use a block heater up there when it gets really cold?

The steps a simple and beefy. the bumpers, steps and 5 aluminium skids plates are made by ASFIR.

Mechanical issues I have had with my jeep is the occasional unexplained, unable to diagnose, over heating issue. happens in summer, winter, highway, in city driving, wont happen again for over 2500kms. very very odd.

other than that - NONE. very happy.

block heater gets used alot in dec jan feb. we dip down to -4f (-20c) alot and that is when I start to use it. I have synthetic oil so not plugged in is not a big deal. we get as cold as -22f (-30c) commonly but can get as cold as -49f (-45c). that is not including wind chill people. although with the understanding of how wind chill works then you would know vehicles do not recognize windchill.

miscellaneous offroad pics.....

CIMG6209.jpg

CIMG6269.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1203.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb392%2Fasphaltassault204%2FInverness%2520falls%2520Power%2520line%2520trail%2FVID-20111023-00008.mp4">

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG-20110925-00021.jpg

IMG-20110925-00041.jpg

IMG-20110925-00054.jpg

CIMG1641.jpg

CIMG1642.jpg

CIMG1644.jpg

CIMG1646.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1650.jpg

CIMG1652.jpg

CIMG1654.jpg

CIMG1655.jpg

CIMG1656.jpg

CIMG1657.jpg

CIMG1658.jpg

CIMG1659.jpg

CIMG1691.jpg

CIMG1712.jpg

CIMG1753.jpg

CIMG1754.jpg

CIMG1854.jpg

CIMG1816.jpg

aug20112284.jpg

aug20111772.jpg

aug20111773.jpg

aug20111601.jpg

aug20111617.jpg

aug20111594.jpg

aug20111133.jpg

aug2011988.jpg

aug2011650.jpg

aug2011662.jpg

aug2011646.jpg

aug2011612.jpg

aug2011600.jpg

aug2011595.jpg

aug2011590.jpg

aug2011588.jpg

Awesome rig, thank you for sharing.

BTW, you should take that first photo of you on the bridge and submit it for a photo contest or calendar!

It's a very nice looking rig! I didn't see that you regeared it, so I'm curious how it's running on 37s? They look awesome on it, btw!

miscellaneous offroad pics.....

aug20111772.jpg

aug20111773.jpg

awesome.

in the lower 48 states you have to pay for a bear encounter like this.. i think i see at least another one if not two roaming around in the distance. this guy right here looks hungry.

It's a very nice looking rig! I didn't see that you regeared it, so I'm curious how it's running on 37s? They look awesome on it, btw!

Well there is a story for this. basically I had planned for three stages for upgrading the jeep. bumpers, skid plates. Lift. wheels tires and regear.

well those plans went out the window when a friend of mine bought a SEMA vehicle which was an '07 Jeep. he took off the lift, then sold it to me. then the decided the jeep was not for him and was selling it. so he sold the other parts to me. most of the parts you see here are used! so as part of the deal I had to give him my stock wheels with tires, and then give him back the tires on the MT classic II. so I bought 37's. no room to pay for the regear yet.

It is not great but on the highway I just take it out of OD and I am ok. going with 5.13's when I can

awesome.

in the lower 48 states you have to pay for a bear encounter like this.. i think i see at least another one if not two roaming around in the distance. this guy right here looks hungry.

LOL well we were in south dakota for this guy plus his many friends. we PAID to see him. $50 at BearCountry USA very close to rapid city. LOL good call. but I have seen black bears, deer, beaver, moose, fox, rabbits, etc for free of charge other than spending gas to see them on many of our 4x4 excursions. when camping we tie our coolers up into a tree so that bears cant get it and do not attempt to get into the jeeps while we are sleeping... would be a rude awakening to say the least!

some recent new years day snow wheeling. we dont have much in the way of snow right now and the temperatures have been unseasonaly high too.

CIMG4449.jpg

CIMG4447.jpg

found a warm up shack supplied with wood and match's. good to get some lunch with family and friends.

CIMG4457.jpg

CIMG4459.jpg

even an out house! yay!! no seat warmer though, .... BOOOOO! LOL

CIMG4461.jpg

My friends Excursion 4" lift and 33"s, he has 35's too on another set of wheels.

CIMG4520.jpg

CIMG4543.jpg

CIMG4522.jpg

CIMG4547.jpg