Sign in to follow this  
asphalt assault

'08 JEEP JKU rubicon - build thread

new problem with jeep. cross member and gas tank are weak so these have seen hits many times offroad and are now distorted so badley that the gas tank skid at times can rub on the rear driveshaft at the transfercase rear output shaft. so i either will have a custom made cross member made or buy one for $150 to 200. then straighten out that fuel tank skid and perhaps strengthen it with plating.

pics to follow when I have this done.

new problem with jeep. cross member and gas tank are weak so these have seen hits many times offroad and are now distorted so badley that the gas tank skid at times can rub on the rear axle at the transfercase rear output shaft. so i either will have a custom made cross member made or buy one for $150 to 200. then straighten out that fuel tank skid and perhaps strengthen it with plating.

pics to follow when I have this done.

Wow that is a new one, waiting for pics. George:cool::D

I read your post george and saw I had a freudian slip.... rear "axle" should have read rear "driveshaft" LOL but I think you figured that out.

I will take pics before and then with the new stuff. just driving carefully for now...need to order part, get metal, straighten skid, then plasma cut plates... after that I may spot weld them into place then have someone finish the job.

still have not done anything with the crossmember and skid. not as bad as I though. Made some adjustments. here is pics of that.

CIMG5297.jpg

see the side of the gas tank skid is almost touching. it will touch over a larger bump or under power turning left...LOL

CIMG5301.jpg

2x4 and a 2 ton bottle jack helped move it to one side after several compressions of the skid in some key spots.

CIMG5306.jpg

the skid

CIMG5293.jpg

CIMG5291.jpg

CIMG5292.jpg

in the pictures it does not look as bad as it is in real life.

the cross member

CIMG5287.jpg

CIMG5286.jpg

CIMG5285.jpg

so what is new..... going to autorama "world of wheels"! the jeep is going to be on display as a special interest vehicle with a cj, tj, and a cherokee. so I am getting it ready for that. we made a structure to put one wheel up on it to show the Jeep articulation. it will be shown with no doors and the soft top on.

0303121832a.jpg

we have some who will use plaster to make this structure into a rock. will look great once done more pics to follow as the show is 16, 17 and 18 of march.

0303121832b.jpg

0303121833a.jpg

the jeep is almost maxed out here but when I finish working on the suspension I may obtain another 4" or 5" of droop.

0303121834a.jpg

0303121835a.jpg

Now I put on Bushwacker flat fender in time for the show. I did not have time to trim the rear bumper or rock slider rails. will get to that.

0311121913b.jpg

0309121407a.jpg

I went from 5" gap to almost 9" gap. and with the suspension unweighted there is 16" of gap without articulation.

0311121911c.jpg

0311121913a.jpg

0311121912a.jpg

0311121912b.jpg

also trimmed the pinch seam ahead of the rear tire.

0311121911a.jpg

0311121912c.jpg

Autorama... aka World of Wheels is in town. our jeep club has a display. here are some pics. I have new flares on. it increase my wheel gap by 4". if you have a friend with a jeep and they want to run big tires with not much money I recommend these. equivelent to a 3.5" lift. just need to offset wheels (spacers or wheels = 4.75" back spacing the best with 35"s)

now onto pics.......

CIMG5576.jpg

CIMG5581.jpg

CIMG5540.jpg

CIMG5554.jpg

CIMG5575.jpg

nice - i like the xmas trees!

are those the Xenon flares or the new Bushwackers?

nice - i like the xmas trees!

are those the Xenon flares or the new Bushwackers?

LOL thanks. the structure we made to get the jeep up on was to be made to look like a rock by an artist who does that kind of work for pool surrounds like in a hotel pool area. didnt happen so we used a tarp and put little trees around it. looks ok. little bumped we did not get our rock.

the flares are bushwackers. seen the xenon and dont like them. but those do provide better wheel coverage. I would have bought those if they had the Bushwacker quality. problem is the smooth finish and flimsy and look warped and wavey.

Update - Went to World of Wheels car show here in winnipeg in support of the Jeep Club.... I recieved BEST IN CLASS "Mini 4x4 Utility Wagon"

It is not the reason I went to the show with the jeep but that was nice.

WOW2.jpg

WOW5.jpg

congrats!

I received BEST IN CLASS "Mini 4x4 Utility Wagon"

WOW2.jpg

"Mini 4x4 Utility Wagon"...

I wonder what they consider to be 'Large'? That's awesome! Congratulations, it looks great! Diane :rolleyes: