Sign in to follow this  
asphalt assault

'08 JEEP JKU rubicon - build thread

Too much mud!!! George:cool:

amen...

its not mud really, it is muskeg which is very different. looks like mud but falls off leaving very little mess. great for potting with. it is natures filter for rain run off. there is not much to get stuck in out there but there is these little pockets that you think is safe to walk on or drive on and you fall through the crust and it can be very deep. it is quite something.

Update:

Fire extinguisher

CIMG6697.jpg

Love those quick fist clamps. holds axe well. only $10 at cabella's.

CIMG6689.jpg

cb Radio in

CIMG6696.jpg

exahaust needed to be trimmed. it got pinched closed on some rocks. used my favorite tool the sawzall...

CIMG6684.jpg

CIMG6687.jpg

Working on getting the aluminum transmission/transfer case skid in. have to make the front cross member with a loop in it so it goes over top the front drive shaft.

CIMG6650-1.jpg

CIMG6659-1.jpg

CIMG6661-1.jpg

CIMG6667-1.jpg

2 problems I encountered. I didnt make the loop deep enough.... LOL and there is more side to side movement than I expected in the driveshaft when the front suspension cycles and when flexing. so I plan to make a V ranther than a U. this will be the final time to mock it up and that it will work. looking forward to that. then I will work with the suspension to get more flex out of the suspension. I feel I can get another inch up travel in front and 3" down in the front. I may get another 2 inches in the rear. now that is at the shock so that will give more at the wheel. i am hoping for close to 15" of flex which will be excellent.

important mods, good work!

Alright the skid is finally done. hard to find time. I recieved some help as I dont have a welder or a metal bender. so this is what we have.

CIMG7563.jpg

now imagine the front support going straight across and the aluminium skid also extending across underneath the drive shaft. that is what it was stock. it barely cleared the driveshaft when jeep suspension is at rest. going up would be no issue but when flexing the driveshaft would have it the front cross support of the skid. put in the "V" and cut a section out of the skid to allow the driveshaft full clearence when the suspension is cycling. very happy with how this turned out.

CIMG7565.jpg

CIMG7566.jpg

CIMG7567.jpg

now I will work on the suspension to use the complete stroke of the shocks. they have a 12" stroke and currently I could only use 9" of that.

I'm starting to want a JK now:cool:

Nice work!

:DThanks for the compliments. I still would have liked a Grand Cherokee WJ build. grass is always greener on the other side. ;)

Next time I post I hope to make you all drool. :confused: Might be awhile but it will be pretty cool when done. till then.....:D

Well I have a few teasers that should give away what I am up to. I have 2 for free! pulled these out of a dumpster. one is for a spare, I mean why not! its there for the taking, right. I could use some help. I need a clutch for this item. CIMG7832.jpg

CIMG7836.jpg

I also got tired of my trailer wiring harness getting knocked and bent on the rocks so I moved it up high on the bumper so it is out of the way and functional.

CIMG7964.jpg

CIMG7967.jpg

Also didnt like the shiney backing plate on the cb radio in the front windshield so I just spray painted it flat black and put wire loom on the wires to make a cleaner install.

CIMG7963.jpg

CIMG7961.jpg