Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Walapai 4x4 Trailride & Christmas Party

George and I were up in Kingman, AZ over the weekend for the annual Walapai 4 Wheelers Trailride and Christmas Party. After the rain we had here in Phoenix last week, I was anticipating a snow run with the Kingman gang, and as I went past the Walapai mountains wednesday, I saw a lot of snow and more was falling!

DSCN1671.JPG

Jim and Saraine Brightly graciously hosted the party this year at their home, which is located at the base of the Cerbat Mountains to the west of Kingman, and I had a pretty good idea that the trailride would be behind their house. So you can imagine my disappointment as I drove down I-40 into town and saw NO SNOW on the Cerbats! The snow that had fallen on the Cerbats had already melted off. Here are some pictures from the day.

Gathered at Jim & Seraine's pre-trailride:

DSCN1672.JPG

DSCN1673.JPG

DSCN1675.JPG

Trailride photos courtesy of George (Number 7). Getting lined up & ready for the trail. You can see the Brightly home in proximity to the mountains behind:

DSCN1676.JPG

DSCN1677.JPG

The trail we did is called 'Bull Run' because it loops from north Stockton Hill Road behind 'Bull Mountain' & back out to the road:

DSCN1679.JPG

DSCN1683.JPG

I was right behind Wayne & Gwen (stockjeep) & wacked my new side mirror (driver's side) pretty hard on this tree. Luckily George was able to clip back into place but I seriously thought I broke it first time out!

DSCN1686.JPG

The trail began to climb and it got rocky and washed out in a lot of places:

DSCN1687.JPG

DSCN1688.JPG

After we crested the hill we went down a short distance to this old mine:

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN1691.JPG

This is Ted:

DSCN1692.JPG

This is Ted trying to climb a rediculously steep bank with several undercuts out of a wash while his girlfriend tries not to spill her Mountain Dew:

DSCN1693.JPG

This is Duke also trying to climb it (neither Jeep could climb out; the soil was saturated and they both just dug in):

DSCN1696.JPG

Wayne & George looking like cousins:

DSCN1700.JPG

I told Ted that the theory about mud holding things together was a busted myth:

DSCN1702.JPG

Ted found a different hill to climb nearby:

DSCN1705.JPG

Then we went down the other side and back to the Brightly homestead for the party.

DSCN1706.JPG

That is, until we came to (wait for it!) A LOCKED GATE!

DSCN1707.JPG

Could the day have been any more complete? Luckily there was a fun way around it!

Back at the Christmas Party we did our annual Gift Grab. Jim had #1, and opened the 1st present:

DSCN1708.JPG

But it was promptly stolen!

DSCN1711.JPG

He stole it back later - love those gift grabs! Doesn't this picture look like a fight about to break out?

DSCN1712.JPG

Ha! There wasn't a fight! After the Gift Grab we tucked in to a delicious pot luck meal: cheese & crackers, chips & dips, posole (Mexican soup), Hunter Chicken and Mashed Potatoes, Meatballs in (yummy) tomato sauce, pasta salad, nut bread, cheesecake and more. It was a feast like no other!

Thank you to all our Kingman friends for the good times! Special thanks to Jim & Saraine for the hospitality, it's always great to see you! Me & G made it safely home late last night.

Click here to see all of our pictures:

W4W Christmas 2011.

Cheers! Diane

:rolleyes:

I was right behind Wayne & Gwen (stockjeep) & wacked my new side mirror (driver's side) pretty hard on this tree. Luckily George was able to clip back into place but I seriously thought I broke it first time out!

not the shiny new mirror:eek:

looks like fun with a lot of cool cherokees, thanks for sharing.

nice pics and write up, glad your trip home was uneventful

Looks like a great time D! I sure would like to go up and run trails around Kingman one day.

Does anyone know what kind of sliders "Duke" has on his TJ? These look interesting. Without having to "boatside" your rig and still have the ability to not have frame mounts, etc. get hung up.

DSCN1696.JPG

Looks like a great time D! I sure would like to go up and run trails around Kingman one day.

Does anyone know what kind of sliders "Duke" has on his TJ? These look interesting. Without having to "boatside" your rig and still have the ability to not have frame mounts, etc. get hung up.

DSCN1696.JPG

I don't know the brand, they are made of aluminum. George:cool:

strain won them at Hump & Bump last year and sold them to duke

Great Pics!!! Thanks for sharing!

smiles, ladybug