Sign in to follow this  
Jklee

4:1 transfercase question

I am still looking for a transfercase to buy and I have come across these np231 with the four to one kits installed. If I understand correctly if I bought one of these I could keep my 4:10 gears in the axles for highway and still have a great crawl ratio with the 4:1 transfer case. Is that correct? Any of you have one? Like it ect?

Yes, that is correct. I assume by saying you have 4.10 R&P gears that you have a 4 cylinder motor? My YJ was a 4cyl with the 4.10 R&P. It got around just dandy. Although, after I put in my 4 to 1 kit, I was able to get up and over anything I tried. In fact, sometimes the 1st gear with 4-Lo was too low and I used 2nd and 4-Lo. I was very pleased with my purchase as when in 4-Lo I could easily walk up terrain that other people were banging and gunning against. This made my heart rest easy for I did not have fear of trashing my jeep or breaking parts.

Grunt explained it well... Bottom line is tha the 4:1 gearing of the t-case low range only affects gearing, when you have shifted the t-case to low range. Highway driving (high range in the t-case) will be un-affected.;)

I am using exactly that setup, although my 4:1 t case is from Teralow, along with 4:10 gears. I have also found that 4 Low and second gear is a bit more useful than First gear. My engine is a 4.0L but George (Number 7) has a 4 cylinder (gear ratio unknown at this time) goes anywhere he wants. I like it a lot and wouldn't go back.

I have mixed feelings about my 4-1. It is too low for running trails and sand dunes. In heavy rock and steep ledges it is not low enough. I should have went with a three speed t-case. George:cool:

What's a three speed case? Just a normal one?

What's a three speed case? Just a normal one?

StaK makes a three speed t-case, it's more money and requires some mods to make it fit. Atlas makes a four speed t-case also more money and mods. George:cool:

I just wonder if the cost of the kit is worth it. You could get a NP 241 with the 4:1 gears included. Maybe a 241 wouldn't fit.

I have the 242 and it went bad. I just try and upgrade when I have to replace something (if I can afford it). I was looking at going to a 231 or 231 with the 4-1. Not to sure what the 241 is from or if it would fit. What gears to you run in your axles George?

I have the 242 and it went bad. I just try and upgrade when I have to replace something (if I can afford it). I was looking at going to a 231 or 231 with the 4-1. Not to sure what the 241 is from or if it would fit. What gears to you run in your axles George?

I run 4.88 gears with 33 inch tires ( these specs are in my signature line). Diane's XJ has a good setup, 4.56 gears, 33s and auto trans with the 231 t-case. It work great on trail and rocks. George:cool: