Sign in to follow this  
Jklee

4:1 transfercase question

Yep I'm a quick one;) thanks

As an aside, an auto equipped vehicle does not need the extra gearing of the 4:1 for rock-crawling, etc. as much as a manual trans vehicle does, as the torque convertor adds torque multiplication that a manual can't.

FYI, the 241 which Sam referenced is the t-case which is std. in the Jeep Rubicon and Dodge Power Wagon models.;)

One thing I think we all initially over-looked is that I assumed you had the 4 cylinder engine because you had the 4.10 R&P. The 4cyl drivetrain had a 21 spline output shaft on the transmission for mine. I think, even though a TJ, that yours may too. Where this becomes an issue is that unless the 231 you found had a 21 spline input, it will not work for you. The 6 cylinder motor drivetrains had a 23 spline output shaft on the transmission. Do you know if this 231 you found is from a 4 or 6 cylinder motor drivetrain?

Also, the suggestion to find a 241 is an excellent choice as the internals utilize a 6 gear planetary(if I heard correctly) and has a good reputation for being robust. Although it has the higher spline input. There are companies like Novak Adapters and Advanced Adapters that make appliances(shaft changes or adapters) that allow you to use the 241 or 231(23 spline) with your 4 cylinder drivetrain.

These suggestions all come with cost. As Sam mentioned, you must weigh the cost of making these changes for those t-cases or even the cost of the fancy T-cases that would need some mods to work as well.

1. 95 ZJs never had a 4-cyl. They either came with a 4.0 L I-6 or a 5.2 L V-8.

2. The reason George complains about his crawl ratio is that his 4-cyl doesn't have as much low end torque as a 6-cyl and he has big tires. I have a 4.0 L 6-cyl, NV 241OR with a 4:1 ratio, 4.11 axle ratio, a six speed NSG 370 manual transmission and 33 in. tires. That gives me a 78:1 crawl ratio in first gear and I can cruise at 2300 rpm in top gear at highway speed. With that combination, I don't have any complaints with rock crawling or highway performance.

3. Here's a link to info about the input gears:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

1. 95 ZJs never had a 4-cyl. They either came with a 4.0 L I-6 or a 5.2 L V-8.

I shouldn't read the forums late at night, I miss too many things. :eek:

I assumed he was doing this for a YJ/TJ because he mentioned he had 4.10 gears. Sorry about that! :rolleyes:

It is also important to note which transmission and gear ratio you have in as this will affect the over all performance.

I am not sure the gearing in my tranny, it's the auto. I bought the front high pinion 30 with 4.10 gears so I matched the 8.8 when I had that installed. I have spent a lot of money upgrading my jeep and am not happy with the current set up and performance. Its worth the extra money if it ends up working the way I want. Do any of you know where I could take my np242 to have it rebuilt?

I am not sure the gearing in my tranny, it's the auto. I bought the front high pinion 30 with 4.10 gears so I matched the 8.8 when I had that installed. I have spent a lot of money upgrading my jeep and am not happy with the current set up and performance. Its worth the extra money if it ends up working the way I want. Do any of you know where I could take my np242 to have it rebuilt?

Try calling 4wheelers 602 273 7195, they are in Phoenix. George:cool:

not sure what parts you need or how pricey they are, but don't let tearing down a tcase scare you away from doing it yourself. they seem complex, but as long as you take everything apart on a work bench and keep everything in the exact order that it came apart, it's really not hard to put back together.

if you don't know what's wrong with yours and need diagnostics as well as a fix, then it probably isn't cost effective to have someone do that - in that case getting a used 231 is your simplest and cheapest option still.

as everyone else said, if you are happy with your gears on the highway, then the 4:1 will give you some extra oomph in the rocks and better (slower) crawling experience. if you don't do much rock crawling, then stay away from the 4:1, it just ends up being too slow for standard trails and i see people constantly going from 4-hi to 4-lo a million times on a regular trail and wishing they still had that stock ratio in the low. as george said, a 3 or 4 speed case, or a regular case and a doubler is the most awesome setup - but that's an entirely different category of money and modifications.