Sign in to follow this  
BorregoWrangler

01-22-2012: Anza-Borrego Exploration

Anza Borrego - Carrizo Gorge Railroad Camp - Petrified Wood Hunting

I decided to take a short notice trip out to the desert to check out an abandoned railroad camp in the southern end of the park. The ruins were built to support the construction of the San Diego & Eastern Arizona Railroad through Carrizo Gorge. Standing amongst the dilapidated wooden structures is like getting a glimpse back in time. There is one wall of the camp still standing constructed of old blasting powder cans held together by mortar. Afterwards, I headed out east of Carrizo Mountain to look for petrified wood. It was nice to get out.

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

neat! did you drive through the tunnel?

John, great write-up and thank you for posting on Offroad Passport. This looks like something we'd enjoy exporing!

So tell me, what is that object which seems to be obscured in the dust as the osprey stirs up dust? I think it almost looks like a ship on the horizon?

IMG_1041.jpg

And, is this picture overlooking the same section of Hwy. 8 (but from the other side) that we saw from the Mountain Springs Stagecoach Trail & Devil's Canyon? If I recall correctly, we saw a section of trail across the way that had cement pavement showing...

IMG_1057.jpg

Thank you again, John. Always a pleasure!

neat! did you drive through the tunnel?

No, you cant drive through (although my dad would years ago) but I've hiked through them a few times. I was able to park about 50 yards away from it.

John, great write-up and thank you for posting on Offroad Passport. This looks like something we'd enjoy exporing!

So tell me, what is that object which seems to be obscured in the dust as the osprey stirs up dust? I think it almost looks like a ship on the horizon?

And, is this picture overlooking the same section of Hwy. 8 (but from the other side) that we saw from the Mountain Springs Stagecoach Trail & Devil's Canyon? If I recall correctly, we saw a section of trail across the way that had cement pavement showing...

That "ship on the horizon" is Plaster City gypsum plant. http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/CA4913/

The area around it is an OHV Area. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/ohvs/plaster_city.html

The picture of Interstate 8 is just a little ways further west of what we saw on the stagecoach trail. I'm driving on a section of the old concrete Highway 80 that was built in the 30's.