Sign in to follow this  
PMA4x4

Upgrading my antennas and could use some input.

I am looking for a more durable dual band antenna. I have had a 2m 1/4 over 5/8 serve me well since 1998 but I need something that will do 440 and is a bit more flexible. The new location of antennas will be front bumper.

So far the only thing I have found is this

A Comet SSB-1 dualband 1.5db/2.15db gain 60watts

4403.jpeg

Example:

Sawmill2010017-1.jpg

I am also looking for a good flexible CB antenna. Wilson made one about 10yrs ago that you could bend end to end and be just fine.

Wilson still makes a 4' CB antenna they call a Flex Silver Load. I have it on my jeep and it is fairly durable.

I use a Larsen NMO 2/70B mounted on the tailgate of the TJ .....

I'm getting my first ham this week and need to redo the cb antenna also. I'm probably going to do the big 102" whip for the CB. I already have one that I use for a flag when out in the whoops so I don't splat any bikes.

I'm fairly confused by the antennas for 2m.

I'll follow your suggestions. It will be mounted on the side/rear of a surco roof rack.

For CB I have had a 10' whip on the side, a 2 footer from Astatic (with tunable rings) on the roof rack. Then a 6' bottom loaded CB on the roof rack.

I have tried them all I swear and the best tunable one I have had back to back on any vehicle has been that Astatic 2 footer. (discontinued) It looks like Procomm maybe making a copy of the Astatic Here

739545_300.jpg

The most durable CB antenna I have had was the K40 flex. Top sleeved adjustable and can bend end to end and if it broke K40 would replace it period. (discontinued)

k40sfsk.jpg

I am now moving all me antennas from the rack down to the front bumper. I will lose a bit of gain but frankly I am not DXing so it doesn't really matter.

I plan to try out the Astatic 2' tunable and see how that works.

as for the HAM side, Ever since 1998 when I received my first license (Tech+) I have been using a single band 2M 5/8 over 1/4 wave antenna. I have forgotten the brand but it has something to the effect of a 9db gain. So I am tossed between durability of the Comet SBB-1 or a bit better gain from the Comet M-24 (hardmounted) with a spring.

M-24.jpg

for cb i have a generic base-tunable whip very much like that Astatic you mention. it's very flexible. here's the 2foot version (i actually have the 4foot but i'm not finding it online right now): http://www.walcottcb.com/ms24-2ft-low-profile-cb-antenna-motorcycles-pickup-trucks-p-1713.html?cPath=28_352_412_420

i've been happy with my dual-band diamond antenna for the HAM. diamond and comet seem to be 2 of the top brands, and both offer plenty of lengths and variations on mounts.

i do like the diamond antenna C213SMA mount, it came with a nice screw-on cap to use when you take the antenna off for car-washes so that you don't have any chance of water getting into the UHF/SO-239 connector with the antenna not there. the cable portion seems to be of excellent quality as well.

P1000316.JPG

Looks like Astatic wasnt the only with that design then.

And just for future reference if you ever loose the cap off the top of the antenna or bend it or what ever. I found a great replacement for them. Their for the top end of a Hustler RMX but that come in a 6 pack and are within an inch of these astatic designs. and all for 15 bucks.

Ksmith, which Diamond Antenna are you using. I am thinking more and more of the Diamond Antenna NR770HB Dualband VHF/UHF Mobile Antenna.I am just wondering if I can forget about using the fold over design and is that design strong when locked in the vertical position?

mine is actually that NR770HB. the fold over feature requires you to lift the major part of the antenna out of a "pcket" then fold it over - the spring holding it down in the pocket is very strong. i've never used the folding feature (intentionally or accidentally) other than to check it out when i first got it. usually the flex in the antenna works fine for normal tree limbs, but if i get into really tight brush then i have bent my mounting tab before.

Well... I'm sold. Looks like my new dualband antenna will be the Diamond NR770HB.

The only thing I found is Diamond has discontinued that C213SMA mount but HRO seems to have it. and a few other places seem to still have it.

I have always tried to stay in the 3/8-24 mounting. It leaves far more options and easy repairs if on the road.