Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

lift laws by state...

a nice resource about lift and other vehicle mod laws: http://www.liftlaws.com/

good ole AZ has few regs, being the wild west that it is. my native state of VA has a random regulation about hood-scoop size which seems to further our red-neck stereotype!

be aware that the site is mostly state laws and doesn't get into city and county regulations that may further restrict you. i know some of the new-england areas have over-zealous "safety inspections" that won't let people get away with many mods.

i've always heard western europe is even more strict than the US though. this article claims that in Germany "Most vehicle modifications also need to be approved, from installing tires of a different size to materials used in nuts and bolts. The German safety guidelines are among the strictest in the world, and getting a road permit for custom-built vehicles is said to border on the impossible." - if ChrisD is reading this maybe he can confirm/repudiate this?

German laws regarding modifications and even basic maintenance including car washing, are indeed very strict...;)

Hi Kris,

each part, used for a specific vehicle, needs to have a approval document from some government institution. Definitely you will not get road permits for extremely modified vehicles. You can get permission for special vehicles. This is a long way and also pretty expensive.

It is even not allowed to drive a Mercedes or BMW or whatever from the US, without doing some modifications, which make it fully compatible with the german version.

Tire size change (bigger tires) usually is not allowed, due to the effect on the speedometer. If your overall diameter stays the same, then you can change, if the tire/rim combination has the above mentioned certificate for the vehicle, you want to put them on.

Regarding the maintenance, you have to follow the car manufacturer rules. Otherwise you might get problems during the time, your warranty on the vehicle is running.

Car washing is allowed today (if you are having an oil separator, which filters the oil from the water, one is using for washing the car) :D.

Funny how I take for granted the liberties allowed to me by virtue of where I choose to live. It never even crosses my mind that I may or may not modify my vehicles. These freedoms have nothing to do with my choice of living here, but I suppose they would if I ever decided to move somewhere else. Good find K.

Sorry for reviving an ancient thread, but I figured I'd add my own experience with terribly strict vehicle modification laws. Hawaii requires you to go through a full vehicle safety inspection once a year for stock vehicles, and a second, much stricter inspection for ANY vehicle modification. Anything down to installing WalMart brand aux lights or OEM replica light housings from eBay/Amazon. No vehicle can have a front or rear bumper height of more than 33 inches high or lower than 20 inches (my numbers might be a little off). And if you manage to pass their inspection after doing one modification and decide you want to do another one later on, you have to go through the inspection process all over again.