Sign in to follow this  
thatoneguyaz

My 2004 Wj

I experienced death wobble twice today and its the worst thing EVER. Scary as shit I had to pull over and even that was a challenge because my steering wheel and pedals were all violently shaking.

I'm about to go on an overnight camping trip next weekend and I just wish I knew more about all this so I could fix it sooner...

are you able to get your swaybar re-connected? even if you have to beat on that bent piece with a big hammer to get it reconnected, do it - when i had death wobble, it was much worse with the swaybar disconnected.

have your tires re-balanced and rotated, it's only a first step in a long list of things that can cause DW. also double check that the bolts that hold the track-bar on are completely tight.

Well I was trying to get the disconnects off as the drivers side on had lodged itself between the spring and the mount basically. I finally got them off and I'm not sure if I should reconnect the sway bar, another person told me it would be best to leave them off until I get in the new parts. It makes sense to me that the death wobble is going to be worse with no sway bar and I don't feel super comfortable driving without it on, but with my limited knowledge/know how I'm not sure if I will even be able to get them back on. When its disconnected and the sway bar is pulled down, for SOME reason the sway bar touches the springs on the drivers side but not on the passenger, theres a good distance in between.

Oops, trail damage. Nice pictures though.

Chad.

Sway bars rnt my thing? I had mine off in my wj when I had it and never had a problem. When I got my xk, I took them off front and rear. Come to think of it I had them off in my tj as well. That was just a preference of mine. Plus, I'm still used to driving my tj around so I really don't drive as crazy as I used to :) I've had a lot of feedback on a local club I was apart of saying to keep them on? But honestly, in my commander, as big as she is I'm used to the body lean turning sharp. But I also drive like an old granny especially since my wife hates me getting to heavy on the skinny pedal. It's all preference as far as I'm concerned? Afteral, it's a jeep not a Porsche right? :)

If memory serves, I had a problem with the wobbles in my wj. I absolutely hated it! It did make for a good wake up alarm when I least expected it! But to solve that I was either gonna order the rough country dual stabilizer, or from kevins Offroad. His wobble kit was probably the best one I could find between the 2. Plus I think it had another kit for it to mount it up high to help keep away from bashing it on something? On his site. He had a pretty good description as to how good it was and how easy it was to install? Again, I was gonna go with the dual stabilizer cause at the time when I had my wj, it would wobble like crazy whenever I hit a good size bump or hole in the road.

CIMG0929.JPG

on my old one i had drilled a hole in the body near where the pitman arm is in the pic and then bolted it up out of the way when disconnected. I didn't have quick disconnects so in reality it just stayed up there, i kept meaning to put it back on after i got home but it never happened

Thanks for the input. Wasn't until I got the Jeep that I started wanting some tools heh

Still can't figure out why my front left tire touches the bumper when I turn to the right.... It just randomly started doing it,only does it while turning one way, and doesn't do it at all on the other side. Same side like I said above how the sway bar touches the springs if I bring it all the way down but does not do that on the other side.

Well nothing new as of late except breaking / broken stuff, unfortunately.

First, on a recent smiley rock trip, I smashed in the steering stabilizer.

8af11393.jpg

On the same trip I bent my drivers side sway bar bracket that holds the disconnect on, and now its completely messed up

a8eeeeb6.jpg

I experienced death wobble twice today and its the worst thing EVER. Scary as shit I had to pull over and even that was a challenge because my steering wheel and pedals were all violently shaking.

I'm about to go on an overnight camping trip next weekend and I just wish I knew more about all this so I could fix it sooner...

Chances are VERY good that the wobble is the result of the steering damper damage... Replace it, and you should be good to go, but a through inspection of ALL the frt suspension fasteners is in order as well...;)

While it probably won't last due to fracture initiation by bending it, the link pin can be easily straightened with a large adjustable (cresent) wrench...;)

Still can't figure out why my front left tire touches the bumper when I turn to the right.... It just randomly started doing it,only does it while turning one way, and doesn't do it at all on the other side. Same side like I said above how the sway bar touches the springs if I bring it all the way down but does not do that on the other side.

Sounds like you need spend some quality time with a tape measure under your jeep, to check to make sure that your axle is still square underneath your jeep. Check for broken trackbar mounts, etc.

As far as the rubbing goes, I'm kinda curious if, when you hit the steering damper, you might have bumped the track bar too; enough to tweak it. The track bar's job is to keep the axle centered, and considering how close it is to the steering damper, it's a possibility that it may have hit a rock too, and knocked it off center.