Sign in to follow this  
azscout

Trail Cooking

I found this site and thought it had a lot of good cooking ideas. I hope you find some new ideas for eating while you are out in the great outdoors. Sometimes it's hard to come up with easy ideas to have for meals that don't come out of a can and have 1000's of calories.

http://blog.trailcooking.com/

lots of good info, thanks for posting

Good info. George:cool:

sweet! thanks for posting!

smiles, ladybug

This is a topic that I absolutely love. Camping and cooking are two things that just go together for me. I end up doing most of the cooking on our outings. My wife thinks I am nuts as I have seven different fully stocked kitchens for camping. They are each designed and built for specific use and number planning on serving. If we are base camping for multiple days I use a chuck box similar the one the boy scouts use. when I did built up the interior of my pinz the first consideration was its kitchen area. I am a big fan of the products that Blue Sky Kitchen makes. I have built several and use them in varying numbers. Of course my favorite means of cooking is the dutch oven (I have 14 ovens in different sizes and types). Once you get set up properly there really is no need to eat any different then when at home.

I have even adapted to cooking with an improvised dutch oven when I backpack. Nothing like a nice lasagna after hiking all day.

This is a topic that I absolutely love. Camping and cooking are two things that just go together for me. I end up doing most of the cooking on our outings. My wife thinks I am nuts as I have seven different fully stocked kitchens for camping. They are each designed and built for specific use and number planning on serving. If we are base camping for multiple days I use a chuck box similar the one the boy scouts use. when I did built up the interior of my pinz the first consideration was its kitchen area. I am a big fan of the products that Blue Sky Kitchen makes. I have built several and use them in varying numbers. Of course my favorite means of cooking is the dutch oven (I have 14 ovens in different sizes and types). Once you get set up properly there really is no need to eat any different then when at home.

I have even adapted to cooking with an improvised dutch oven when I backpack. Nothing like a nice lasagna after hiking all day.

it's nice to hear different perspectives! to me getting the food in my belly is the goal and the easier it is to cook, the better. hence the engine warmer and Aimee pre-cooking at home.

have you heard of the Cobb Grill? seems like it might be something you would enjoy.

I like the Blue Sky Kitchen website ... has some interesting info in addition

to their products ...

I would have a rough time fitting one of their kitchens into the TJ .....

have you heard of the Cobb Grill? seems like it might be something you would enjoy.

No, I had not heard of it. I picked up a Pit-2-go many years ago at a trade show. Was walking around saw the exhibit and talked to the guy for some time about it. The wife knew I was impressed and suggested I get one. Glad she did. We have been using it regularly ever since. It even holds a couple of 12" dutch ovens when the wind is blowing.

I would have a rough time fitting one of their kitchens into the TJ .....

One of the reasons I got rid of my jeep. I now have a larger carry capacity and can run with most modified jeeps, excluding the buggies of course.

Here is a link to a kitchen like one I picked up some years ago. When they first came on the scene they were only $100. Amazing how much can be put into one box. The box even turns into a small table.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10737072_original-italian-wwii-military-field-kitchen

Good food and good friends are what really makes some of the longer expedition trips enjoyable.