Sign in to follow this  
thatoneguyaz

03/18/12 Exploring around Bartlett Lake/ Horshoe Lake

Well we were going to head up into the seven springs / bloody basin area but then I saw the turnoff to this area and figured what the hell since it would be new to us.

Found some neat little areas, drove through rain, hail, and snow. Again on the way out around 4-5 ish we hit some REALLY heavy snow that turned the desert white within minutes. It was piling up on my windshield too! I have a video somewhere but I think I had my phone turned sideways so the video is stuck that way too :mad:

We ran into my best friend some mud again. At first it was alot of fun because I was just tokyo drifting it basically around the trail because there was soooo much mud and I just kept sliding. Well yeah I had myself too much fun and got into some deeper mud and got stuck. This time I was able to manouver and feather the gass and finally able to get myself out. Believe me my girlfriend was NOT happy. During this crisis I got out of the Jeep to see exactly what the problem was. Well APPARENTLY during all this my phone fell outta my pocket. So later on in the trip I realize its missing and we end up having to come back down to the muddy area. Also mind you (Kris mostly) this road we went on was supposed to lead us to the lake but the road just turns into a rocky, muddy road that runs down and along the lake. It didn't even appear as if it went anywhere. So to make a long story a little shorter, we went back to the giant mud pit roundabout where I got stuck the first time and under about 6 inchs of mud we found my phone. Still works too. So anyway I only pulled so far in for fear of getting stuck again. Well then as I'm trying to turn around my back end slides out and hops over a giant branch of some kind. Guess what. :eek: Stuck again. So yeah I got out pulled and pushed and did everything I could but it was not moving. I finally was able to twist the wheel and feather it enough to where it actually kind of broke the branch in half. Honestly not sure what happened but I got out. Lets call it luck.

Also excuse the pics there is something seirously wrong with my dslr and it takes ****ty pics now I promise its not me I'll link my old flickr with tons of my old cars pics on it if you dont believe me!

Driving up cave creek and seeing the storm form

IMG_6858-1.jpg

Hard to tell in the pic but on the inside it felt pretty close to flipping =X still getting used to this type of stuff

IMG_6860-1.jpg

My weak ass flex pics

IMG_6868-1.jpg

IMG_6867-1.jpg

IMG_6866-1.jpg

Parked right in front

IMG_6875-1.jpg

IMG_6874-1.jpg

Random and blurry

IMG_6878-1.jpg

After getting stuck the second time lol look at the mud on my tires

IMG_6881-1.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6876-1.jpg

And random of an area we stopped to make hot chocolate

IMG_6887.jpg

I have a few pics off my phone that prob turned out better than my sorry dslr

Guess dropping it out of the jeep in sedona didn't do it much good :hmmm:

Heading back

dipswindingroad.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention: It was snowing really heavily and we were headed back towards carefree and I spotted a cherokee pulled off on the side of the road. I pulled up and asked the owner if he was okay well turns out he is my childhood like 4th-9th grade best friends twin brother. I knew him and his brother for years and years and haven't talked to this kid for at least 3 years. What are the odds of running into him up there on that particular road at that particular moment. Like a million to one. Anyway, so yeah, it was a fun trip :)

Ha! Good story. Sorry you got stuck twice, dropped your phone and your camera doesn't work good anymore, but glad you had fun.

Great story and pics, thanks for posting!

i think the problem with getting stuck was that you were IN the lake... seriously, see the treeline in this pic? that's where the edge of the lake is when it's full:

IMG_6876-1.jpg

the road to horseshoe splits in 2 near the end, one goes up to the dam and the other dead-ends just over the hill at the boat launch. people make trails after the boat launch when the lake is low, but as you found out - it's mud ;)

fyi, this is what the horseshoe spillway looks like when it's actually flowing:

IMG00169.jpg

and you can walk under it. dirtbikes make a full loop from 7-springs around the back side of the lake and then come across under this walkway:

IMG00184.jpg

the first time i ever went out there was when my jeep was a baby too! the bumper was off cuz i had just put on the tow hooks before i went out:

IMG00158.jpg

Ha! Good story. Sorry you got stuck twice, dropped your phone and your camera doesn't work good anymore, but glad you had fun.

Lol its all good, thanks Diane :)

Great story and pics, thanks for posting!

i think the problem with getting stuck was that you were IN the lake... seriously, see the treeline in this pic? that's where the edge of the lake is when it's full:

IMG_6876-1.jpg

the road to horseshoe splits in 2 near the end, one goes up to the dam and the other dead-ends just over the hill at the boat launch. people make trails after the boat launch when the lake is low, but as you found out - it's mud ;)

fyi, this is what the horseshoe spillway looks like when it's actually flowing:

IMG00169.jpg

and you can walk under it. dirtbikes make a full loop from 7-springs around the back side of the lake and then come across under this walkway:

IMG00184.jpg

the first time i ever went out there was when my jeep was a baby too! the bumper was off cuz i had just put on the tow hooks before i went out:

IMG00158.jpg

Lol wait till I tell my girlfriend that. I almost feel bad now as I am sure if knew I was actually driving in the lake I wouldn't have been doing it.

Thanks for sharing your pics and knowledge on the area as well- great stuff to know!

I WISH it had been flowing like that when we saw it.

Edit: The last pic you posted is at the parking area for the dam isn't it? I recognize it

Maybe the next time I am in town I can tag along with you. I always wheel solo and it seems you do too.

Maybe the next time I am in town I can tag along with you. I always wheel solo and it seems you do too.

Yeah for sure, you live in the athem area?

Dudes, I'll go out with you if I'm up for it! Post up, even if it's 12 hours out! You never know! :rolleyes:

Dudes, I'll go out with you if I'm up for it! Post up, even if it's 12 hours out! You never know! :rolleyes:

Alright sounds good!! I never actually wheel alone but if by alone you mean one vehicle then yes basically every time lol.

I should be getting the 31s put on this week maybe even tomorrow, so I am definitely going out this coming Sunday which is Easter I believe. :D

Same here, I love the horseshoe area, been out there a few times myself. Always post up!!