Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Treading lightly also means having respect for others' use of public lands

I read an interesting piece today that really says a lot about how we affect each other in the great outdoors. It goes without saying that we all should try to be aware of others and our surroundings, and try to respect various uses of our public lands.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/alaska-trails-and-highways-golden-rule-goes-unheeded

What do you think? Got any good examples of respecting/disrespecting outdoor enthusiasts' rights to our public lands?

Diane :rolleyes:

When I lived in Western Colorado, summer tourists love to rent Jeeps and explore the old mining trails which were, by agreement with the BLM, maintained by the local Jeepers. Every year the eco nazis try and find any excuse to shut down vehicle traffic in the mountains, so the locals try and keep it clean. I didn't mind going up there a couple times a year and clean up the Pabst cans discarded by savage tourist douche-balloons.

After the BLM put the clubs on notice for inadequately keeping the trail and campsites clean, a smaller group of local Jeepers decided to winch a bunch of very large rocks and trees across the trail in an effort to keep the unwashed masses off the favorite trails. Effectively making a "locals only" type of vibe on some trails.

While I can definitely see why they would attempt something like that, it's totally not cool to deny the masses, however unwashed they may be, from accessing public lands. And in an attempt to keep lands public and open, they closed them off... Smart.

The county now maintains those trails. By maintain I mean they run bulldozers up and down them, which completely ruined the rugged character of some of my favorite trails.

i always try to remember how much i hate the dust (and obnoxiously loud noise) when camping and therefore slow down near camps. there's no reason i can't wait till i get a ways past the tents and onto a trail before "opening it up".

hopefully being even overly polite about sharing the trail with hikers helps improve the image of us wheelers... instead of just assuming they'll move out of my way since i'm bigger, stop for a moment and see if they motion you on past. if the hiker is on rough terrain or a narrow area then what's the big deal if i wait 5 minutes for them to get down a hill to where there's more room for me to pass without altering there path?

the hardest one for me to respect is horse access - i totally know that those riders have just as much right as i do to a trail, but nothing sucks more than having to dodge horse-bombs on some of the local mountain bike trails around here!

One aspect of Arizona's land management policy that puzzles me is the closure of trails because of overuse. I am a big fan of dispersed camping. I like camping out in the middle of BFE, just me, my family, friends and nature. Not 10 feet from the bozo next door on a concrete pad with street lights and a smelly bathroom. When I took my kids up along Senator Hwy (Lynx Lake area) in the Prescott National Forest, I was amazed that they had gotten rid of dispersed camping in lieu of a very few numbered spots (I was told because of overuse).

There are so few spots available now, that they are constantly in use. We went to a few of these and they were so trashed (there was a ring of used toilet paper about 50 feet from the fire ring), that I couldn't stomach staying there (it was super gross).

With more and more trails being closed, the ones that are open get overrun. It's a vicious cycle. The more trails that are closed leads to more use of the ones that are remaining, which leads to those being “overused” which leads to more trails being closed and on and on.

Instead of closing trails, I think Arizona should be opening tons more trails. Just think if they opened twenty new trails a year. All of us old timers would be hitting the new trails and the old ones could breath a big sigh of relief.

Just my 2 cents.

Is it just me, or have you noticed Budlight cans alongside trails in Arizona more often than any other beer brand cans? Inevitably, if there is litter, I'll start out on a trail and come to a can, then another can, then another can, then another couple cans and so on until I finally come to the 12 pack carton, or worse, the case (which obviously is further along the trail, or at the end of the trail along with the last 10 cans strewn about). And it seems like its always Budlight; not Coors Light or regular Coors or even plain old Budweiser: just Budlight.

Is Budlight the cheapest beer? Because I could imagine the people responsible for littering on our public, BLM and National Forest trails being quantity over quality types.

Have you notice the same thing in your area? Or is another brand of beer more popular among the litterbugs where you live?

I have nothing against Budlight or Budlight drinkers, except for the ones who toss their empties out as they're exploring on a trail, and I wonder how Anhauser Busch would react if they knew about this phenomena in S. AZ?

Diane :rolleyes:

Dirt Bikes and Quads are the hardest for me to share a trail with, most of the time I want to run them off the road... More than once, I have pulled over to the side of a trail as far as possible to let a group of bikes/quads by only to be dusted by them and having rocks thrown up at my truck from them peeling out. Pisses me off to no end.

Another thing that gets me, is how much AZ has complained about the litter at The Coves, specifically Cove 1, THEN they go and grade the road so that a passenger van or small car can drive out there with ease. They claim it's to make it easier for emergency vehicles to access the Coves for all the stupid idiots who flip their quads on the play hills they shut down. BUT, they left the giant one that a dozen people roll on every year at the 1st Cove open.

As far as trash goes, I always stop and pick up any can/bottles I find on the trail and even in the wash to the coves and throw them in the back of the truck, I figure every little bit helps..

Yea bud light seems to be king. My family always brings home at least a trash bag full every time we go out and bud light cans are what we see the most of. As far as the environment goes, do any of you carry spill kits? If so what type and where do you get it? Cost? Thanks

Yea bud light seems to be king. My family always brings home at least a trash bag full every time we go out and bud light cans are what we see the most of. As far as the environment goes, do any of you carry spill kits? If so what type and where do you get it? Cost? Thanks

I too notice Budlight cans on trails, almost feel like telling Anhauser Busch to include a do not litter brochure with their beer. George:cool:

I agree......it seems many of those things are too noisy and are always going way too fast.....:mad:

Dirt Bikes and Quads are the hardest for me to share a trail with, most of the time I want to run them off the road... More than once, I have pulled over to the side of a trail as far as possible to let a group of bikes/quads by only to be dusted by them and having rocks thrown up at my truck from them peeling out. Pisses me off to no end.

I went up the backway to Crown King with some jeep guys (I realize not all are this way). While watching some of the less then capable try to get up one of the obstacles his buddy was at the bottom with me. We were talking about his path and trouble he was having. The guy finished his beer, yes it was budlight, and threw the can to the side without missing a beat. Stunned I asked him to pick it up. You would have thought I called him the worst names in the book from his reaction. I swear for some of these people it is just second nature to trash. As soon as they were clear of the obstacle I headed off on my own.

The first of the year the pinz group did the bulldog canyon trail. I don't know if it was the gate but we only found two pieces of trash on the whole trail. If the gates are the answer then we need more, as long as we can get the codes.