Sign in to follow this  
thatoneguyaz

Durable Air Mattress?

Looking for a durable air mattress that can sleep two comfortably. I assume the dogs will lay wherever in the tent, most likely near us, so at least a twin, maybe a queen. Anyone have a particular brand they like or suggest? Thanks. Seems like a dumb question probably but I just want to get something that will last. Thanks.

I gave up on air mattress.. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night half on the ground. They are awesome when the hold air, but it seems like there's always something that pokes it..

I use a Coleman 4-n-1 ........

We've discovered that 2 twins are better than 1 queen because on the single mattress, when one guy rolls over the other guy wakes up. We bought the Walmart brand 'Ozark Trail' I think? They've lasted fine, although we have had one or the other go flat a few times. Whenever that happened George repaired the hole with Goop.

I gave up on air mattress.. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night half on the ground. They are awesome when the hold air, but it seems like there's always something that pokes it..

Yeah lol thats what I want to avoid. What do you sleep on if you don't use one, just the ground?

I use a Coleman 4-n-1 ........

I did see this, was thinking this may be a good option. How long have you had yours?

We've discovered that 2 twins are better than 1 queen because on the single mattress, when one guy rolls over the other guy wakes up. We bought the Walmart brand 'Ozark Trail' I think? They've lasted fine, although we have had one or the other go flat a few times. Whenever that happened George repaired the hole with Goop.

Makes sense. And alright cool I will check those out as well.

Thanks!

The 4-n-1 was the heaviest that I could afford ..... and I am on my second one ......

When I bought the first one, it my goal was to get 2 years out of it and it lasted three .... and

it is probably still good but it was to cold this last winter to put it into the pool to find the leak ... when it

warms up I try to patch it ...

I have noticed that a vinyl air mattress has a hard time being rolled up and stored during very cold temps...

and I have done really cold temp camping ... so I think it has a hole(s) where it was creased during packing ...

The reason I went with the 4-n-1 is the very reason of having a mattress to deflate while sleeping ... I figured if one

went down the other would be the backup to keep me off the ground ...

Some people complain that an air mattress is cold to sleep on ... I lay out a old sleeping bag between the air mattress

and the sleeping bag that I crawl into at night .... it has not been a problem ......

I kind of look at some camping equipment as consumable items and an air mattress is one of them .....

it is not going to last forever ......

We have tried all sorts of air matresses ending up on floor and always have to handle them with fragile care. We have also tried cots. We found our best nights sleep came from these and they are light and with a quality sleeping bag we have slept on some really rough ground.

s7_510556_999_01?rgn=0,0,1021,314&scl=2.6868421052631577&fmt=jpeg&id=36CBHQUI5R1BhEPDWwd7N2

Cabelas has a double or queen size i think here here.

If we are tent camping it is cots with ground mats and sleeping bags. We tried the air mattress thing once and while it was a very good mattress it did not make it through the five day trip. The slumberjack really big cots are large enough to be comfortable and yet break down into manageable size.

I guess I'll throw in that we don't tent camp as much as we used to. We've been doing the majority of our longer expedition trips in Large Marge & Clifford, which both allow us to sleep inside, and which I have come to prefer. Air mattresses in these situations are ideal, but even on the few trips when we've taken Number 7 and slept in a tent, we've relied upon air mattresses.

You all should carry a tube of Goop with you. George swears by it and always carries a tube in every vehicle. If you get a leak in your mattress, you can find the hole if you look and listen carefully, and seal it with Goop. Goop is also good for lots of other applications, such as dabbing a schemer on bolts so they don't un-screw on the trail. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll throw in that we don't tent camp as much as we used to. We've been doing the majority of our longer expedition trips in Large Marge & Clifford, which both allow us to sleep inside, and which I have come to prefer. Air mattresses in these situations are ideal, but even on the few trips when we've taken Number 7 and slept in a tent, we've relied upon air mattresses.

You all should carry a tube of Goop with you. George swears by it and always carries a tube in every vehicle. If you get a leak in your mattress, you can find the hole if you look and listen carefully, and seal it with Goop. Goop is also good for lots of other applications, such as dabbing a schemer on bolts so they don't un-screw on the trail. :rolleyes:

Can Goop be bought local or online only?