Sign in to follow this  
GRUNT

GLADIATOR (Crown King) Fire

The news just said that if the Gladiator fire jumps a canyon it will turn back towards the town of Crown King. The Forest Service says if it starts back towards the town, conditions dictate they will have to abandon all firefighting efforts in the town. :(

wow first the lane fire laid waste to a massive section of that area and now this? there won't be anything left soon. It will be a charred wasteland for several generations. I'm on pins and needles that it doesn't hop the northern ridges and head up Bear Creek towards the Mayer Goodwin Road. there would be no stopping it period..... the lane was finally stopped by the monsoons. we need another freaky storm like the one that blew through last week.

I was in Crown King a couple of weeks ago. I went up into the lookout tower at horsethief basin to get a look at thefire damage. I was amazed, everything was green as far as I could see. I asked the forest ranger and he said they had seeded grass with a helicopter and the rains came at the right time. Only took a few pics.

950813260_crownking003.thumb.jpg.3d02b95e1faceac54209f78b982455ed.jpg

1726000482_crownking006.thumb.jpg.cfbdb061a8997b6151858b96f7a92171.jpg

1057081958_crownking001.thumb.jpg.46fd68735967f97fa9139ba2953b045d.jpg

722070928_crownking004.thumb.jpg.a21d193f7d827a6552b4fc592193aa57.jpg

You might want to take a look at the Senator Highway where I have a picture of a washout that must be 7' deep. The road is totally closed. Also the Prescott Courier had a front page article about Forest Road 89 where it meets the Crown King (main) Road. It (89) is totally gone. A boulder field now. No more road. No more access to the Peck and Swastika Mines. Grass isn't going to do anything to stop erosion. A couple of more years of heavy rainfall and all the back roads and trails will be gone.

I don't know where you took those pictures but they are NOT from the burn area. I have been inside the burn area and posted pics here. There isn't anything green there. !!!! The FS seeded a little bit (175 acres) where visitors to CK might see their efforts. The other 15,825 acres are a total burn out.

I must of saw the only part they seeded

We came up the back way from pleasant and went out the main road to I-17 and didn't see much road damage. There has been alot of rain since then.

I was up at the DeSoto on July 4th. It was before the really big rains hit. Got there around 6:00AM and while waiting for my second truck to arrive, I was poking around the place. Hadn't been there in about 15 years. Well I kept hearing all these helicopters plus on the Crown King Road I passed 2 eighteen wheelers headed towards CK. They were double trailer vehicles - imagine that on the CKR!!! Found out later on from my old rancher buddy what exactly was going on. They took the trucks as far as they could and then air dropped the hay and seed to the selected locations. I later heard on both KKLD (Prescott) and KMGN (Flagstaff) that the FS was doing exactly that::: WINDOW DRESSING !!!! :mad: If all the other fires in the Prescott are any example, nature will do the rehabilitating (including obscuring the remains of any roads and trails).

About a month ago the PNF called me and said 89 was open. Then four days later another double-header of big storms hit and totally destroyed a good part of the road at the Swastika & Peck Mines. I need to write or call Betty Matthews (PNF Supervisor) and see what exactly (probably nothing!) the FS is going to do about rehabilitating the roads and trails.

We came up the back way from pleasant and went out the main road to I-17 and didn't see much road damage. There has been alot of rain since then.

You went right through part of it between Crown King and the Poland tunnel (site). That area was all ripped out at least twice. Plus didn't you see the burned hills all to the West? Also you went by the 89 terminus which no longer exists. I'll have to see if I still have the photo from the Senator and the link to the Prescott newspaper.