Sign in to follow this  
klaykrusher

Tech Question: Grease type and ball joint removal

So I have a couple questions.

Mechanic I am not, done some tinkerin', but it's time to dive in. I am replacing my driver side axle assembly. I have read through web and service manual instructions. They say to grease the splines, but cant seem to nail down the type/kind of grease to use. Some photos show a red grease, others with the standard blackish used for ball joints, u-joints etc. I assume the type matters. I'll also be contacting Toyota to get their specs, just wondered the opinions of others.

P1040968.JPG

Also looking for tips/tricks to remove the upper ball joints. I have a puller, looks pretty straight forward. Called a shop for a quote and they wanted 170 labor and 1.6 hours per side. So not sure if there is more to it than meets the eye.

P1040967.JPG

The splines can be lubed with ANY chassis lube, which is there basically to keep the splines from corroding together, making it difficult -to- impossible to disassemble later...

Even with your pic, I don't know enough about Toyota's indipendent frt suspensions to be able to authoritatively answer the ball joint removal question posed. From your pic, unless I am missing something, it does however, appear to be a rather straight forward job, once the veh frame is supported on jack stands and wheel/tire removed for access... Might be worth while to get another opinion from someone who knows Toy's on this one...;)

its pressing them out and back in that is the trick. Some go fairly easy while others are more of a pain. I am not a gambling guy and for $170 I would have them do it. I know the last set I did I would have paid twice that (what a pain they were).

Thanks guys. For 170, i wouldn't think twice, but that is per side and just the labor. Another place wanted 460, again just labor. That's why I'm leaning toward doing it myself. I read where an air chisel/hammer did the trick verses beating on it or using the puller. I'm still on the fence though, gonna call a few more places.

Thanks guys. For 170, i wouldn't think twice, but that is per side and just the labor. Another place wanted 460, again just labor. That's why I'm leaning toward doing it myself. I read where an air chisel/hammer did the trick verses beating on it or using the puller. I'm still on the fence though, gonna call a few more places.

Have you ask the question on any of the Yota forums?

I've been reading the forums and write ups. I would be willing to try the air chisel, but I think it make sense to have a shop do the uppers. I'm getting quotes for 1.5 to 2.5 hours per side. All are saying steering knuckle needs to come off, so for me to try and remove it while on the vehicle, I think I'm asking for a lot of trouble and unnecessary stress. Sometimes you just have to know when to let the pros do it....:)