Sign in to follow this  
Number7

Product Review: Big D Off Road Steering Stiffener Kit

I bought a 'Big Ds Off Road' steering stiffener kit from a link I found on Craigslist. I've been wanting to do something to strengthen the steering on my '04 Dodge 2500 4x4 for some time now. This kit reinforces the sector shaft, and prevents flexing of the steering gear box. I was impressed by the quality of the parts in the kit as soon as I opened the box.

DSCN9348.JPG

It was an easy install, everything fit perfectly. It was maybe a 30 minute install time! Here you see the new nut that bolts to the pitman arm that has a small shaft built into it that slides into the bearing and steel brace, which bolts to the frame.

DSCN9349.JPG

DSCN9351.JPG

DSCN9353.JPG

Sorry, blurry...

DSCN9354.JPG

I purchased the Big D Off Road steering stiffener kit at a great price; only $120 Delivered! So far the steering feels much more responsive on the road through turns. Before it seemed like I was chasing the wheel.

George :cool:

Number7, Just saw their add on craigslist here and googled the company name....and your review popped up in the search. So this seems like a really well made product ? and the company was easy to do business with ?

I am looking for something for my 97 Ram. The 35's seem to have put a bit of a strain on the steering and want to tighten things up....any more feed back is appreciated.

Matt

Number7, Just saw their add on craigslist here and googled the company name....and your review popped up in the search. So this seems like a really well made product ? and the company was easy to do business with ?

I am looking for something for my 97 Ram. The 35's seem to have put a bit of a strain on the steering and want to tighten things up....any more feed back is appreciated.

Matt

Yes to well made product and easy to do business with. My steering feels very tight, a lot better than stock. George:cool::D

You never realize how much flex is in the system until you get a gearbox brace. I did the same on my CJ7 and my XJ and both of them tightened up. This one looks just as good as most other types. I like how it gives you a thread on shaft for the pilot bearing and the fact its a bearing at all.

Not a bad price at all. I'd pay that easy... If I had a dodge!

Just ordered one up.

It's funny, they have them on e-bay for 124.95 or best offer. Tried 3 different best offers and it wouldn't go....so just ordered it from their site and saved 5 bucks.

Now if it gets here in time to install before our trip to Yosemite.:D

Received it last week and it is installed. Certainly does make the steering feel more responsive.

And the 30 minute install would have been dead on, iffffff, 1 bolt wouldnt had broke off. That added about an hour or so to it.....but after taping it out out, it went smooth.

Nicely made product and fast shipping....

I could use one of those on my '01. Time to start saving my pennies.