Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

bed bugs...

i was thinking more about those little nasty bed bugs that seem to be going around in public lodging...

the CDC says "[bed bugs have] traditionally been seen as a problem in developing countries, it has recently been spreading rapidly in parts of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and other parts of Europe." but they don't give any information on what type of insecticide would kill them :(

i'm want to take some sort of product with me to spray next time i'm staying in a hotel or cabin. at first i was thinking Lysol, but there must be something better?

i found that Walgreens carries a spray insecticide that has a few good reviews and is supposed to be safe on bed sheets: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/avenger-organics-natural-bed-bug-killer/ID=prod6024608-product - it only gets 50/50 reviews on amazon though.

anyone have any recommendations?

41-beICR6%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fire. :D:D

Fire. :D:D

so i could use the lysol can after all ;)

0.jpg

i was thinking more about those little nasty bed bugs that seem to be going around in public lodging...

the CDC says "[bed bugs have] traditionally been seen as a problem in developing countries, it has recently been spreading rapidly in parts of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and other parts of Europe." but they don't give any information on what type of insecticide would kill them :(

i'm want to take some sort of product with me to spray next time i'm staying in a hotel or cabin. at first i was thinking Lysol, but there must be something better?

i found that Walgreens carries a spray insecticide that has a few good reviews and is supposed to be safe on bed sheets: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/avenger-organics-natural-bed-bug-killer/ID=prod6024608-product - it only gets 50/50 reviews on amazon though.

anyone have any recommendations?

41-beICR6%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html

I thought the only thing that killed them was heat. I don't know but I'm starting to like camping more and more...

When I went to Moab last year and stayed at the Arch view Resort in one of the small cabins. The year before members from JEO stayed there and reported bed bugs. So I got a can of bug bomb and set it off in the cabin before I headed into town for dinner. When I got back I opened up the door and windows to air the joint out. I then took a ultraviolet wand made to combat bed bugs and went over the mattress for several minutes. Waited an hour and rolled out my sleeping bag.

No problems.

Bed bugs are about the nastiest things on the planet. The only thing that will kill bed bugs is a professional strength insecticide that you have to get from a pest control company or a temperature of about 102 for many hours. I know this unfortunately because about a year ago the care giver for my wife's grandfather brought them into our house. Having them around is like living in one of the worst layers of hell. They can go almost a year without feeding so when you spray your house they will go hide inside the walls for a couple months until the poison is gone and then they come back out to feed and then you have to spray again. It took over 6 months with constant vacuuming, spraying, and putting cloths in the dryer (The dryer will kill them in about 20 minutes if you have them on your cloths.) to get rid of them all, not to mention all the money for the spray we used, and I pray we never have to deal with that again. To avoid bringing them home you should always keep you bags outside until you can put your cloths directly into the washing machine. The nice thing about summer here is that if you set your gear outside all day on a 100 degree day it should kill any unwanted travelers in or on your gear. Be careful because if you think staying one or two nights in a place with bed bugs is bad. Think about how it would be if they came home with you and you had to deal with that every night.

I'd be leery of those "professional strength insecticides" Wouldn't want to sleep or breathe anywhere they have been used. The cedar products kill a wide range of pests including scorpions, which are very hard to eradicate. The only thing about the cedar based products is they are advertised as animal safe. That's true for dogs and cats but not for rabbits.

A similar thing for Simple Green. I know, it's not for bed bugs but that stuff is pretty nasty. I much prefer http://biogreenclean.com/

I'd be leery of those "professional strength insecticides" Wouldn't want to sleep or breathe anywhere they have been used. The cedar products kill a wide range of pests including scorpions, which are very hard to eradicate. The only thing about the cedar based products is they are advertised as animal safe. That's true for dogs and cats but not for rabbits.

A similar thing for Simple Green. I know, it's not for bed bugs but that stuff is pretty nasty. I much prefer http://biogreenclean.com/

Believe me, after awhile waking up with bites and having phantom feelings all over your body, the smell of the chemicals aren't so bad. I have 2 dogs, a cat, and 2 small children so I was very careful where I sprayed. I also bought a steamer. The steamer kills them on contact so I would use that on furniture, beds, and other places that my animals and children had direct contact. Come to think of it, if you had the room I guess you could bring a steamer with you to places if you were worried about bed bugs there. It fits in a box that is about 12"x12"x24".

i take the opposite approach, i want the most dangerous, industrial-strength, known-to-the-state-of-California-to-cause-cancer stuff you can get... a friend sent me this link, might get some before the next trip: http://www.amazon.com/Bedlam®-Insecticide-for-Bed-Bugs/dp/B002M4T5SK/

Believe me, after awhile waking up with bites and having phantom feelings all over your body, the smell of the chemicals aren't so bad. I have 2 dogs, a cat, and 2 small children so I was very careful where I sprayed. I also bought a steamer. The steamer kills them on contact so I would use that on furniture, beds, and other places that my animals and children had direct contact. Come to think of it, if you had the room I guess you could bring a steamer with you to places if you were worried about bed bugs there. It fits in a box that is about 12"x12"x24".

i did read on another forum that the steamer is a good solution for cracks and crevices that they hide in on furniture and mattresses.