Sign in to follow this  
PMA4x4

iPad question here too!

Anyone using an ipad with an external GPS antenna? or even W7 thru Parallels on an iPad?

I am running an ipad 3 with the internal GPS antenna for navigation. Did not have any problems so far.

I tried the Parallels viewer on the ipad to use W7 thru Parallels on my Macbook, but was not really satisfied.

Here is my dilemma,

I use topofusion which is for windows only. Topofusion uses an externally plugged in GPS unit (garmin Maps60CX for instance) as the antenna and feeds live tracking into the software

The idea is I am looking at a iPad 3 to run W7 to use topofuison then I need to have the iPad powered by the cord PLUS have a USB for the garmin to plug into for the GPA tracking software.

The next question is does windows thru parallels recognize the USB thru the 30 pin connector?

This would have been so much easier had Apple installed a conventional USB port.

As far as I understood it, Parallels Mobile on the IPad is only a viewer for the virtual machine on your Mac. Means you would need to have a Mac (i.e. Macbook) with you to run W7 as virtual machine. Then you are able to control W7 through Parallels Mobile.

So the USB port should not be a problem, as the GPS would be connected to the Macbook.

I am not sure, whether the Software under W7 is able to access the GPS, but at least external drives (DVD, harddisk...) are recognized under W7. If you want, I can test the connectivity of a GPS via USB within the W7 virtual machine on saturday.

But just to be clear, I understood, that the virtual machine is not running on the IPad. It is running on a separate Mac.

No bother. I found what I was looking for. A virtual machine off of a macbook would have defeated the purpose anyways as I am trying to stay on just the ipad. Also as I found out earlier today ipads dont have USB ports so that was the catalyst for figuring out the migration from a windows based sytem to a ipad for tracking.

I was able to find a gps ad some gps apps that will suit our purpose.