Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Awesome Place to Travel!

This picture from the Bolivian Salt Flats is the coolest picture I've seen in a long time...

399346_10151930588000235_2144630826_n.jpg

nice.....

very neat

I don't know where this picture was taken at, but it is definitely worth sharing...

216141_163875483749390_1793084369_n.jpg

That's what I thought I was missing when Jim Brightly lead you through the flats near Baker.

Then you showed up at camp....:D:o

I don't know where this picture was taken at, but it is definitely worth sharing...

216141_163875483749390_1793084369_n.jpg

From the phot credits, it would appear to be the same as the first, or fairly close...;)

Looks cool, I wonder if you end up with rust? George:cool:

Looks cool, I wonder if you end up with rust? George:cool:

BIG time rust... And worse yet is when it gets past wiring connector seals, and/or splices that have not been properly sealed. You simply cannot remove ALL the salt from every nook & cranny it gets into.:confused:

It helps to as completely as possible coat everything with a water repelling/sealing material BEFORE hitting the salt, and to as soon as practical afterwards, flush the bejezus out of the whole thing with clear water, then again flush with a product like "salt-away". "Salt-Away" is a brand name for a product available thru marine stores, and is basically a very mild phosphoric acid which helps neutralize the PH of the salt, leaving a light oxide of phosphrous coating on the exposed ferrous metals which in turn helps protect them against continued rapid oxidation. However, the salt will get into and remain in places you can hardly imagine, causing unseen corrosive activity.:(

In our dry climate, the remaining salt will not advance the oxidation as rapidly as it would in a damp climate, so giving it a good pre-bath of repellent, and an after bath will typically help slow it to more acceptable levels, but it will not completely stop the effects of having soaked it in a corrosive liquid.

HTH...;)

Ummm yeah, that sounds like a huge PITA. I dont think my Jeep needs any salt in its diet.:P

Pictures are beautiful though!