Sign in to follow this  
irish1371

aux trans coolers

Mounting the tranny cooler in front of the radiator isn't going to cause problems with the radiator effectiveness.

• Like 1

Mounting the tranny cooler in front of the radiator isn't going to cause problems with the radiator effectiveness.

it shouldnt but can. reason for a tranny cooler is because factory unit in the radiator is not enough for offroad abuse. so now that you get enough effieciency for the transmission that heat is transferred to the engine radiator. if it is hotter than the engine radiator it will heat up the engine coolant. so monitor your trans temp and engine temp either way. should you put the trans rad in front of the ac condensor? yes. if you have a b&M trans cooler with fan or similar (can be $400 to $500) and have a great location for it then do it. otherwise just go with the standard method of putting it in front of the ac condencer and watch your temps. you should be fine.

The new radiator has an internal oil cooler, I was thinking the aux could be supplemental since a lot of trail riding is at lower speeds and my v8 would need all the cooling help possible.

Grunt before you go loading your rig up I would say wait and try it first. You may just not need all the extra help with the cooling. Alu. radiators tend to be really efficient.

Just a thought. you can always go back and add one if you need to.

• Like 1

Grunt before you go loading your rig up I would say wait and try it first. You may just not need all the extra help with the cooling. Alu. radiators tend to be really efficient.

Just a thought. you can always go back and add one if you need to.

I agree with that logic. then I would just add a cooler infront of the condensor. and it that is not enough and you want a trans cooler placed some where else that has a fan then just sell me your old cooler to me.... LOL. :eek:

Grunt,

Unless you have measured temps that indicate you have an issue, I would do nothing until you get some actual trans fluid temps. That said, the internal cooler size will be the main factor in determining it's effectiveness in trans fluid cooling.;)

• Like 1

I just mounted a B&M cooler in my 2010 JK which made a big difference. Also the B&M bolts to the body and not the OEM radiator so the only connection would be the hoses.