Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

JK Front Driveshaft Boot Keeps Ripping

I tore off my front driveshaft's boot of my 2010 JK for the second time last weekend. The trail was easy (FR4432) and I never hit anything. It appeared to catch on the stock transmission skid plate (pre-recall). It's still under warranty and the Jeep dealer told me that it was the transmission skid plate (or cross bar) causing the issue (I have a 2.5" lift kit).

They told me to continue covering this under warranty, they would have to install the new transmission cross bar (from the recall). I had previously told them I didn't want the recall. So, they put it on and it doesn't look like it's going to suit my needs. It appears like I'm going to lose a bunch of ground clearance near the center of my Jeep.

I am going to pick up the stock skid plate/cross bar from the dealer tomorrow to check it out. I had asked them to save it for me, but they forgot. They told me they throw them away, but I got the feeling that the tech's sell them on Craig's list.

Anyone had this happen with their JK? Any suggestions on a good solution (home built or third party)?

I had the same thing happen on my 09. They said it was because of the lift (mine was 3.5). I put on an after market shaft which is a bigger pain as you have to grease it often.

I have a coast driveshaft front and rear.... Love it. 850 only for two shafts shipped!

now more recently, there is another company that you can get driveshafts for 625 shipped and apparently people like that too. I will find that info for you if you wish.

I get less vibes. very strong. great for my 4" lift too. one of my best mods.

now more recently, there is another company that you can get driveshafts for 625 shipped and apparently people like that too. I will find that info for you if you wish.

Stomperoffroad.com

:D

I also tore my boot on the first run after installation of a 2.5 inch lift, I believe from rubbing on the cross member, does anyone know where to purchase only the boot (aftermarket) and not the complete shaft assembly from the dealer?:confused:

I’m hoping to get some more miles on the front shaft before I breakdown and purchase an upgraded shaft.

I run drive shafts with out boots because of the 6 inch lift pops the boot off. Just keep grease in the yoke and you'll be fine. George:cool::D

lube it and dont bother with a boot. saves you time and money. just get both driveshafts and be done with it. you wont regret it.

EDIT }________________________________________________________________________________________________

I run drive shafts with out boots because of the 6 inch lift pops the boot off. Just keep grease in the yoke and you'll be fine. George:cool::D

haha I posted sometime later after george posted without knowing he had... to funny

If you insist on a drive shaft boot, contact a local drive shaft shop ... they should be able to fix you up .....

thanks all, found a boot