Bradywgn71

Bradywgn Build - Grand Cherokee Overland 2002

How tough a job is it to replace those cv shafts? From early on in your thread...

Not too bad really. Just a matter of having the right tools. If you have rust, your difficulty level may be more. No need to remove the differential cover so, that's a plus. Be careful sliding the axle back in so you don't damage the seals. The passenger side, being longer, is more difficult to install. Consider installing new unit bearings at the same time if they've never been replaced. You have to remove the old bearings to get the axles out. Check out this thread for details: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/how-replace-axle-shaft-wheel-hub-bearing-assembly-w-pics-377208/

Not too bad really. Just a matter of having the right tools. If you have rust, your difficulty level may be more. No need to remove the differential cover so, that's a plus. Be careful sliding the axle back in so you don't damage the seals. The passenger side, being longer, is more difficult to install. Consider installing new unit bearings at the same time if they've never been replaced. You have to remove the old bearings to get the axles out. Check out this thread for details: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/how-replace-axle-shaft-wheel-hub-bearing-assembly-w-pics-377208/

Ok thanks Chris. Once again very helpful. I'll probably PM you with a specific question I have when the time comes. Sure do appreciate it.

Here is a before and after photo of my jeep. Both pictures at Ajax Mine 3 years apart.

Desktop.jpg

Hope's all grown up into a rough and tumble little lady ;)

Some shots from Payson run a few weeks ago:

IMGP5118.JPG

IMGP4974.JPG

and a photo from Dupont Cabin run:

IMGP5440.JPG

BADASS wj you have here!!! really making me wish I would have started sooner lol oh well shell be lifted by this time next year :) cant wait.

I didn't notice if you have locked axles or not?

Here is a before and after photo of my jeep. Both pictures at Ajax Mine 3 years apart.

It is a lot of hard work. I have similar before/after photos of mine on that very same trail.

Jeeps looking good all grow'd up Sarah!

BADASS wj you have here!!! really making me wish I would have started sooner lol oh well shell be lifted by this time next year :) cant wait.

I didn't notice if you have locked axles or not?

Thanks! I have the factory VariLoc axles front and rear that are getting pretty worn out now.

A few months ago, I had a noise at the left side of my rear axle which turned out to be a bad axle bearing. Apparently, the heavy load of gear taken across the Rubicon had taken its toll on my axle. Unfortunately at the time, I had very little time to fix it before the next wheeling trip. I purchased a "loaded" Spicer axle shaft assembly to make it a quick "remove and replace" type of job. I sprayed some brake clean in the housing and cleaned out as much metal as I could, bolted in the new assembly, filled it with fluid and away we went. It was doing ok until the last trip when on our way home Sarah noticed some unusual noise coming from the right side. The right side bearing was failing... This time I decided to go ahead and replace the bearing assemblies on both sides. There was metal throughout the fluid and I didn't want to be doing this job yet again from the left side being exposed to metal shavings. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-35-44-Rear-Axle-Shaft-Bearing-Kit.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5091&t_pn=CROD35WJ-ABK

images.ashx?i=D35WJ-ABK.jpg&partNo=CRO&w=450&h=450

20150621_060548.jpg

20150621_063819.jpg

20150621_064057.jpg

I also put new brake rotors and pads on since I had those off.

20150621_060521.jpg