Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Wildfire near Bartlett Lake grows

Dang, there's another fire near Bartlett Lake, from here it looks like it's near the Log Corral Trail. The trail was already closed due to the Sunflower Mine fire, we're betting does not re-open now at all. =*( We could smell it during the night and today there's a huge plume of smoke visible. George says it looks like it's creating it's own weather:

DSCN9474.JPG

DSCN9475.JPG

From KPHO channel 5: PHOENIX (CBS5) - A wildfire that broke out in the Tonto National Forest about six miles northeast of Bartlett Lake Wednesday has grown to 250 acres, fire officials said.

The Bartlett Fire is in a remote area near the lake, officials said.

Fire officials said 25 firefighters are battling the blaze, including one hotshot crew and one engine. A heavy helitanker has been ordered to assist firefighters on the ground.

The fire is burning brush and grass in extremely rough and inaccessible terrain, officials said. The rough terrain prevented a helicopter from dropping crews near the fire.

Firefighters said they are still investigating the cause.

It is not uncommon for fires to create their own system when they get big enough. While presenting a challenge, extremely rough terrain may keep it contained(I.e.-in a steep canyon.)

Damn, we had to call one in started by a lightening strike about a mile and a half north of the Four Peaks road on Sunday coming home from Knoll. We were half way up the hill with shovels when the sheriff stopped us and the fire crew pulled in a minute later.

Damn, we had to call one in started by a lightening strike about a mile and a half north of the Four Peaks road on Sunday coming home from Knoll. We were half way up the hill with shovels when the sheriff stopped us and the fire crew pulled in a minute later.

Good job Dan! George:cool::D

bummer...I hate these fires.

That sucks I've explored around that lake before its such a nice area :(

That sucks I've explored around that lake before its such a nice area :(

Yes, and the Log Corral Trail is pretty much a favorite for us - plus it's right in our backyard - so it double sucks. :mad:

fire map here....

looks like it borders the Sunflower fire area... yeah, crap, Log Corral is probably gone for our lifetime (knowing how long it takes the NF to re-open trails, FR-42 & Reno Pass for example).

Yes, and the Log Corral Trail is pretty much a favorite for us - plus it's right in our backyard - so it double sucks. :mad:

one of my favorites too.

at least we got to run it the day that sunflower mine fire started and got out safely. i believe that's when it officially closed judging by numerous orange ribbons i could see barricading the trailheads from highway 87.

we could have been the last group to run it. http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1857

i remember the police boat telling us "you might make it back out ok."

do you still have the videos you shot Diane?

do you still have the videos you shot Diane?

This one right? I should have subtitled it 'Stacked' due to the condition of the trail that day, but oh well: