Sign in to follow this  
lofreqjeff

Jeff's 89 4Runner

I figure its about time I post up the history of my truck somewhere - why not here!! I've had it a little over 8 years and have done alot to it, mostly in the past few years, but still........

Some general stats on the truck: 1989 SR5 4Runner, 3.0 V6, 5 speed trans, 163k miles when I got it from the original owner; as of today: 199,820...sooo close :)

Here we go:

These pics were taken 2 days after I picked it up (2004). I litterally brought it home, gave it a real good once over - everything was top notch so I took the top off and away we went - first stop: Box Canyon in Florence:

BoxCanyon7.jpg

TheDayAfter.jpg

Right away I realized those cheapie street tires wern't going to get me very far so headed to Discount Tire for some Goodyear MT's and picked up a Downey Bikini Top:

IMG_1037.jpg

Then some 4XInovations tube doors:

IMG_1451.jpg

Bought some trailer mirrors from Pep Boys and made mirror brackets from leftover junk I had laying around in the garage:

IMG_1452.jpg

A Sonoran Steel IFS Truss(2006):

IMG_3676.jpg

Bud-Built Crossmember/skids(2007):

IMG_6285.jpg

after market locking center console with front AND rear cup holders:

IMG_1484.jpg

Cut up the UCA's to fit a set of 1.5" SDORI BJ Spacers:

IMG_6310.jpg

The world famous ZUK himself installed the Detroit Locker (2008):

IMG_6442.jpg

And while I was there, we went ahead and installed the necessities for his famous ZUK mod rear springs:

IMG_6488.jpg

Had some sliders made by Brandon over at Avid Offroad in Queen Creek:

sliders3.jpg

Mounted the 60" HD Hi-Lift to the roll bar(which has since been reloacated):

IMG_7858.jpg

Acquired a custom rear bumper from a friend - and I'm still rockin a 1970's coleman steel cooler (2008):

IMG_9307.jpg

Toyota "TEQ" bottle opener in the middle of the spare tire mount:

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

Got a custom front bumper from the same friend who made the rear a few months later:

IMG_0720.jpg

Upgraded to a 33x12.5x15 from 31x10.5x15 last summer(2011):

IMG_9678.jpg

New 15x8 rims with correct back spacing (3.75") to elminate the need for the 1" spacers:

IMG_9685.jpg

Right after the 33" tires, had to regear - so my friends over at Sierra Expeditions put in some 4:88 Nitro Gears for me.

Just a few weeks ago I got myself a new Softopper canvas top:

DSCN2006.jpg

IMAG0750.jpg

Some gratuitous pics from our trip to Saguaro Lake on Saturday (8/18):

DSCN2050.jpg

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2073.jpg

Other mods: 1" 4Crawler (Roger Brown) Body Lift, 1" diff drop, converted the auto hubs to Asian manuals, full Old Man Emu suspension including steering stablizer & T-Bars, ISR removal/K&N cone filter, URD Short Throw shifter, rear seat heater removed to make way for center console, rear carpet delete, removed rear interior pannels for added storage, trash-a-roo, made some quick disconnect door hinges so I can swap the tube doors in seconds, Cobra CB/firestik antenna. I'm sure there is more but thats all I can thing of right now.

Things laying around yet to be installed: Trail Gear Diff armor, new gas tank skids, u-bolt flip kit; modified stock dashboard with molded in clinometer and passenger side grab handle

Wish list/future mods: 3.4L motor swap; some kind of transfer case gear upgrade, still need to research; chromoly rear axle upgrade; rear disc brake conversion; maybe a Blazeland long travel suspension

Thanks for looking - I'll add changes as they happen - feel free to ask anything or give advice - I am in no way a mechanic or know-it-all - actually, I'm an Accountant - so any input you have will be greatly appreciated!!

What a cool truck!

thanks for sharing - seems like you planned your mods well and it looks very capable!

Nice, always like those rigs.

Looking good!

Hey Jeff. The 4-Runner is looking great. Ken.

Thanks everyone! And Thanks to Ken for introducing me/us to offroad passport!

Looks pretty sharp... Welcome...;)

Hey i was just curious about your bumpers, i like the look of them a lot and have been wanting to get a set for my 92 4runner. what did they cost you and who did them?

Hey i was just curious about your bumpers, i like the look of them a lot and have been wanting to get a set for my 92 4runner. what did they cost you and who did them?

I got them from a friend who had made them for his 86 4Runner. He was basically parting out his truck in various stages and I got the rear bumper from him 3 years ago or so for $100 - then 2 years ago he gave me the front for $200.

Depending on what part of town you live, I have some friends who have a shop in Queen Creek that do custom fab work. They did my sliders and even welded them on for me too. Then they did full custom armor for my buddy's 87 4Runner with front & rear bumpers, sliders, skid plates - the whole 9 yards.

Their shop is called Avid Off Road.

info@avidoffroad.com

Their website needs some updating, but the info is still accurate:

http://www.avidoffroad.com/#

If you contact them, ask for Brandon or Ted and let them know you got their info from Jeff LaBelle

Thanks