Sign in to follow this  
GOTMTNS

3 rednecks and a Tahoe with a broken axle

As we were leaving the play hills coming out of Cove 1 two young girls approached us saying their dads axle was laying next to his truck, we immediately spun around and went to see what we could do. He had been climbing a path he had no business on, started bouncing and BOOM!!! After trying to get a hold of a friend who runs an offroad recovery business with no luck, we knew we were going to have to get him to the parking lot or he was going to have to spend the night to keep his truck from getting vandalized.

After some trial and error, and bouncing ideas off each other we settled on an plan. We took the 35" KM2 off the broken shaft and installed the factory spare, it didn't have the deep lugs to grab the ratchet strap and the smaller size made the truck lean that way and put some downward pressure to keep the tire in. Next we ratchet strapped the handle from a hi lift jack against the tire, and do to the massive amounts of friction we sprayed the pipe and strap with WD40. We had one strap break, but after replacing it we stopped every few hundred yards and gave it a fresh coating. Ultimately it all worked and we got the truck to Butcher Jones where his road side assistance would pick him up.

The night was a reminder of why Erich and I need to get all the gear we used to carry in our Jeeps into our trucks, and how 3 guys who work well together can get things done. We wanted to post about it so others might remember how we did it if a similar situation comes up for them, the idea for us started from that tool someone used to sell for "clamping" a broken rear shaft on to the axle.

DSC00418.thumb.jpg.b5596842f41bf68285cd042c96d3f3a0.jpg

DSC00419.thumb.jpg.0c42934e5b78db23e93dee21f35a7ee3.jpg

nice, I've walked along side of a jeep a time or two putting oil on the tire so the jack handle we had strapped to the frame would hold the wheel on and not bind up. One time it was several miles to the road where a trailer could be brought in. A fellow jeeper has a alum roller set up for this breakage. I'm sure they were glad you guys helped.

Kudos Dan & Erich. That family was plain lucky.

You guys did great job getting that guy out.:good: George:cool::D

Great job bud! Now quit saving strangers and come help me with concrete forms and beer.

Great job bud! Now quit saving strangers and come help me with concrete forms and beer.

What!?! You need some help with beer??? Are you taking volunteers? :P

Should be a slow week, just call me.