theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

I'm not sure if I should be all :( or :). If you need help or moral support, let us know. :cool:

Uh oh! Tcase rebuild?? I think I am getting pretty close to needing that done too. What case are u running? I hope you post a write up! :)

Uh oh! Tcase rebuild?? I think I am getting pretty close to needing that done too. What case are u running? I hope you post a write up! :)

242HD. the chain is slipping and if i'm going to take it apart i might as well do a full overhaul kit.

i've had this random really loud BANG! that shakes the whole Jeep sometimes when turning in 4-low. it appeared to come from towards the front. it's been there for seemingly ever, but lately it happens really often. originally i thought it was a suspension thing, but after never being able to find something rubbing/hitting, i gave up looking.

since it cropped up as a big issue now, i started to research more. i came to the conclusion that it was either something in the t-case, or else a broken spider gear in the front axle. i was pretty sure it happened before the JK axle swap and also found that it occurs with the lockers engaged or not, so it's probably not an issue within the axles.

then fellow member ob1jeeper suggested a method to test for a stretched t-case chain. put it in 4-low, hold the brakes firmly, then put it in drive and ease into the throttle. the first time i did this, the Jeep overcame the brakes and began to move. i re-did the test and got into the throttle a little faster. that caused a loud POP POP POP that came from the center of the rig for certain - apparently the sound of a stretched t-case chain skipping a few sprocket teeth!

i'm not 100% certain my loud BANG is also from the chain skipping, but it's a place to start. since the entire t-case will be torn down, i can also look for any other issues in it (broken/chipped/missing gear teeth, etc.).

Yeah, I have experienced similar noises. Mine doesn't do it very often, and when it does, it usually seems to be right after I switch into 4wd or 4 low. I kind of have a bad habit of going as far as I can in 2wd until I get stuck. Then I'll shift into 4wd. That is usually when it will pop. When it's under load right after getting into 4wd. If I shift into 4wd before obstacles, it won't do it. And when it pops, I can feel the whole jeep jolt like its skipping a tooth or something. So I'm sure mine is getting pretty close. Plus I have a decent amount of movement on my front drive shaft output bearing. I think that is contributing to my vibes. So I will probably need to follow your lead on this sooner than later. Then the question is to finally go sye or not?? Haha. It's only money, right? :). Good luck with the rebuild! Curious as to how much the kit set you back and where you got it? Hopefully it's pretty easy to do and doesn't need a bunch of special tools and a press etc.

split the case and immediately see a problem:

IMG_6230.JPG

yeah... so that lock ring shouldn't be sticking out like that - and of course it was sprung out and not re-usable. first extra part required.

IMG_6233.JPG

i can only assume that i didn't get that snap ring seated properly when i put in the SYE a few years ago.

the next surprise was a LOT of shift fork pad plastic down on the oil pump pickup screen, and a fair bit of metal bits too, yay!

IMG_6231.JPG

digging deeper it turns out the pads on the mode selector fork were almost entirely gone, and the mode sleeve/coupler probably shouldn't look like this:

IMG_6235.JPG

with all that was going on, not surprising to have a really furry magnet:

IMG_6239.JPG

a replacement snap ring and mode sleeve should be here monday...

Yikes! That would have been nasty if it let go completely...

I've still got the build fresh in my brain so shoot me a message if you run into anything. It's kinda funny since I'm writing the build post for it right now...

Just out of curiosity, do you need the 16 or the 24mm input bearing on yours?

Yikes! That would have been nasty if it let go completely...

I've still got the build fresh in my brain so shoot me a message if you run into anything. It's kinda funny since I'm writing the build post for it right now...

Just out of curiosity, do you need the 16 or the 24mm input bearing on yours?

thanks dude.

i'm prolly 75% done, the only PITA was the needle bearing that the back end of the front output shaft rides on. how did you extract it?

i tried a 2-jaw puller pushing against a big nut and washer that i sat down in the case, because i didn't have a 3-jaw and a slide hammer. i ended up just tearing 2 bigs chunks off the top bearing lip! so then instead of learning my lesson and getting the right tools, i figured if i heated up the aluminum case around the bearing then it'd probably slide right out... so i torched the case for a bit rotated the 2-jaw puller to grab some of the lip that was still there - and proceeded to rip that part off too :eek: so then i had nothing to grab onto and was screwed! i finally got it out with minimal marks in the case after a long careful time with a couple screwdrivers and a hammer.

i needed the 16mm bearing (6010N) and so i got overhaul kit BK242B. there's conflicting info on the net about that whole thing. however, the Novak Adapters website simplifies it to pre-1994 is 24mm, 1994 could be either (have to take apart and see), and 1995 and later will be the 16mm.

regarding bearings though - besides the 6010N, my overhaul kit came with a 6207 bearing and a 6206. i guess the regular 242's use the smaller 6206 bearing on one of the output shafts - probably the front? the 242HD needs a 6207 on each, so i had to pick up a second 6207 from the nearby Autozone (which turned out to be a Timken brand).

looking forward to your writeup!

Oh snap K! Glad you found your issue in the garage & not on the trail.

I hope the rebuild is going well! Good thing you repaired it when you did.

the case is rebuilt, parts came in this morning...

scottL just came over and helped me get it back in the Jeep, i tried a couple times but just couldn't hold it up there and line it up too. teamwork triumphed quickly though - he lifted, i guided it and then had to rotate the input shaft a bit to get the splines lined up and then bam - slid right on!

then we had a drink and so progress stopped ;)

tomorrow morning i'll put the transmission mount back in, install the flange-yokes and driveshafts, fill it up and take it for a test drive.

thanks for the help Scottie!