Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

hey ksmith, spent the past weekend reading through your entire thread and I must say this is the baddest wj I have seen, close second one had ttbs In the front end setup for prerunner style running.

anyways I must say man this jeep is amazing, truly one of a kind rig. I'm already planning to do some of the mods you've done, with a few twists so its not completely copying :)

hows the carputer doing? I must say that is some amazing stuff, wish I had the technological expertise to do something like that.

hey ksmith, spent the past weekend reading through your entire thread and I must say this is the baddest wj I have seen, close second one had ttbs In the front end setup for prerunner style running.

anyways I must say man this jeep is amazing, truly one of a kind rig. I'm already planning to do some of the mods you've done, with a few twists so its not completely copying :)

hows the carputer doing? I must say that is some amazing stuff, wish I had the technological expertise to do something like that.

thanks!

the carputer is doing fine. i just updated my vehicle interface app on github last week - figured out how to have a button switch to the last app used, just like the ALT+TAB shortcut on a PC does. i like that feature better than having it go to the "recent tasks" switcher screen.

is your app vehicle specific or is it more of a broad based spectrum?

I know my buddy wants to something similar in his tj.

is your app vehicle specific or is it more of a broad based spectrum?

I know my buddy wants to something similar in his tj.

the short of it is that it can work for any rig *but* that's once you know the vehicle's network bus messaging - which is a hard thing to figure out. however, most year TJ's probably use the same protocol and messaging as my WJ, so i think the app might work for him without any additional configuration/research.

see the "how does it work" part of the wiki: https://github.com/theksmith/CarBusInterface/wiki

some pics from the Mt. Graham area trip...

at Coolidge dam:

IMG_6570.JPG

airing down (pic by DZJeepChic):

10498539_10153169973828710_1184884388307828505_o.jpg

some shots of Lafawnduh by kaspily:

11722598_10153169975048710_2804782237117928407_o.jpg

10986567_10153169974998710_3969768868458819841_o.jpg

i found both my front windows were stuck down when it started to sprinkle the last night on mt Graham - fortunately the rain never got hard. i also found that my multimeter was dead and i didn't have a spare 9V battery - doh! anyway, Chris (bradywgn71) let me use his meter and also helped me troubleshoot.

11041274_10153169970808710_6836086616726679585_o.jpg

(photo thanks to Sarah)

jiggling the harnesses going to the doors didn't help (WJ's are notorious for broken wires in those and that causes all sorts of issues). we assumed that maybe the DDM (driver door module) was going bad or even maybe the BCM (body control module) since all of the windows were not responding.

Chris helped me hold connectors and we jumped power directly to the window regulators to get the windows up. i put the door panels back and figured i'd deal with it proper at home.

the next morning it was looking more like it i had a bad BCM or bad connection to it at least - no horn chirp on lock, none of the EVIC was working except the compass, and lots of other stuff like heated seats, steering wheel controls, seat memory, etc. - seemingly nothing too important until i got to the bottom of the mountain and tried to turn on the A/C...

it turns out the climate controls tell the BCM to turn on the A/C when you push the button and it tells the ECU and then the ECU decides how to cycle the compressor clutch based on several parameters.

i like my A/C - a lot! the simple solution was to remove the compressor clutch relay and replace it with a jumper made from 2 quick connectors and a short piece of wire.

IMG_6609.JPG

since the system wasn't being cycled, the evaporator iced up early on and i had to pull my jumper for a few miles to let it unfreeze. once the day got going and the temperature outside rose quickly, everything was fine.

back at home i figured i'd let the system reset before troubleshooting, so i disconnected the batteries for a while. once they were reconnected, everything magically went back to normal - yay!

i'm keeping my jumper wire with me till i see if the BCM is going out or if this was a random fluke. we also ran through a bunch of creek crossings earlier that day, so it could also be a leak in a connector somewhere.

What type of fasteners do you use to hold the flashlight, fire extinguisher, etc. mounts to your door panel? I mounted the flashlight holder to my plastic back door panel with anchor screws but they pulled out on a rough road (Red Creek?).

Sounds similar to an issue I had while in CO. Cruise control decided to not work, think I had just gone through a pretty heavy rainstorm. Cruise light wouldn't come on or anything. But it just decided to start working again a short time later. K, how do you fight off the jku urge? I know it's easy being his they're so damn expensive but I find myself constantly shopping for them. I really love the Wj, it does everything right. After my second trip to Colorado with it I'm like Jku who? It's comfortable, powerful, roomy and capable. And having the H.O. is a plus but I still worry about reliability when I'm 1500 miles from home. I worry about it dropping valve seats. It hasn't overheated once yet, and keeps it's cool on the trail nicely. I do worry when I head to Moab and a hotter environment it might have trouble. It's got 126,000 miles. Thoughts?

What type of fasteners do you use to hold the flashlight, fire extinguisher, etc. mounts to your door panel? I mounted the flashlight holder to my plastic back door panel with anchor screws but they pulled out on a rough road (Red Creek?).

the heavy stuff has little bolts through the plastic with fender washers (to distribute the force so the plastic doesn't rip) and nuts on the backside of the panel. the smaller stuff is just screwed in with self-tapping fine thread screws.

Sounds similar to an issue I had while in CO. Cruise control decided to not work, think I had just gone through a pretty heavy rainstorm. Cruise light wouldn't come on or anything. But it just decided to start working again a short time later. K, how do you fight off the jku urge? I know it's easy being his they're so damn expensive but I find myself constantly shopping for them. I really love the Wj, it does everything right. After my second trip to Colorado with it I'm like Jku who? It's comfortable, powerful, roomy and capable. And having the H.O. is a plus but I still worry about reliability when I'm 1500 miles from home. I worry about it dropping valve seats. It hasn't overheated once yet, and keeps it's cool on the trail nicely. I do worry when I head to Moab and a hotter environment it might have trouble. It's got 126,000 miles. Thoughts?

i do love the JKUs, but the up-front cost of getting something as capable as my current rig is too high...

i would only consider a JKU with the newer engine (then i'm still stepping down in terms of power, though perhaps up in reliability, not sure). also i might as well get a Rubicon or else i'd need axle upgrades immediately. so the downpayment on a 2012+ JKU rubicon, along with a quality lift that can run 35" or 37" tires, and the wheels/tires, plus miscellaneous stuff like front axle reinforcement, diff covers & other armor puts me at a huge initial investment AND a large monthly payment.

i can't wait to see the 2017 Wrangler. if it really does keep solid axles and a true body-on-frame construction, but transplant in a bunch of composite and/or aluminum parts for weight savings - it'll be the last/best generation most likely. not sure what they'll do with the engine, but a small V8 and/or diesel would make it perfect.