theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

I agree with everything you said. I'm a little leary of the 2017, worried they might ruin too much. The current setup is almost perfect; if they would just drop a V8 in. I'd probably already own one then. Going from the 4.7 H.O. to a 3.6 is gonna be a downgrade for sure. But they seem to like to rev and that's what I need powering through mountain passes. Used ones are retarded expensive, it makes more sense to go new. Just so damn expensive. ...

I agree with everything you said. I'm a little leary of the 2017, worried they might ruin too much. The current setup is almost perfect; if they would just drop a V8 in. I'd probably already own one then. Going from the 4.7 H.O. to a 3.6 is gonna be a downgrade for sure. But they seem to like to rev and that's what I need powering through mountain passes. Used ones are retarded expensive, it makes more sense to go new. Just so damn expensive. ...
I think you may be surprised at how well the new 3.6 performs. While the V6 certianly does not have the throaty growl of a V8, the performance is pretty impressive. $0.02 ;)

just under 2 years ago my alternator stopped making juice and i swapped in a spare. i'm not sure where i had gotten the spare as it was tucked in the back of my rig for some time before that, but it said it was remanufactured on it. well that spare one started making some bearing noise a couple weeks ago and then last week went to an outright squeaking.

i still had my original factory one which seemed ok mechanically when it stopped working, so i just rebuilt it with the new electronics from the squeaky one.

IMG_6624.JPG

i noticed that the rebuilt squeaky one was missing some parts compared to the factory - 1) the orange rubber seal in the picture above, 2) a second gray rubber seal on the end-cap and 3) a little off-white plastic housing between those seals to encase the brushes:

IMG_6626.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

i'm guessing the remanufacturing shops just leave that stuff out thinking it's not absolutely necessary because then there's one less thing to slow them down on the re-assembly line? or maybe because they'd have to buy new rubber since those pieces are probably often deteriorated? anyway, there's a real example of how factory parts can differ from the cheaper aftermarket or rebuilt units.

my newly rebuilt factory one is back in and making juice. i'm not sure if it was the rectifier assembly or what that had died, the brushes were down to nubs and one was blackened so i'm not sure if that's a sign it wasn't making good contact and arcing?

IMG_6628.JPG

rocket boosters or ?

IMG_6632.JPG

rocket boosters or ?

or modifying your roof basket to accept more gadgetry.

Rear light bar or RTT

Rear awning mount!

Rear awning mount!

ding ding ding!

at least that's the plan, it's in experimental stages right now - i'll post some pics in a bit.

my rain shelter setup so far:

- an old REI silicone coated tarp/fly with 2 large carabiners that could clip the tarp to my roof rack on one edge

- 2 kelty adjustable poles: http://amzn.to/1KBtoWU

- 4 stakes and some guy lines

it all rolled up and stored in an old tent-pole bag making a small kit.

P1020673.JPG

the only time i had to use it for an extended time was one of our Canyonlands trips. then i actually just tied the other end of the tarp to my tent instead of using the poles and guy lines:

DSCN4659.JPG

this worked out pretty nice. however setting it up with the poles was always kind of a PITA, had to get them guy'd out just right or wind would take it down. i had an idea to make a self-supporting shelter eventually, but never got to it.

BigTuna117 had a similar setup on our recent trip and got me inspired to work on my alternative idea again.

Rear Shelter 2.0 experiment:

the main idea here is to eliminate the need for ground support poles.

i purchased a new tarp, a Kelty Noah's Tarp (9' version) - it's got lots of guy out points and has catenary cut edges which help create a taught pitch.

i kept the Kelty poles for use as the structure, but got a couple pieces of DOM tubing with 1.12 inside diameter for the Kelty poles to fit into.

test-fitting the alignment and getting the correct angles:

IMG_6655.JPG

the poles come out in a V shape, and end up about 10' wide at the tips. they flex quite a bit so this allows the 9' tarp to pull fairly tight at the end:

IMG_6649.JPG

the sides of the tarp then come down as it gets narrower near the jeep to help keep slightly blowing rain out. they are attached with 2 bungees down into the back of the rear wheel wells.

IMG_6633.JPG

everything is meant to work with the rear hatch open so that it causes the tarp to pitch tall in the middle and therefore rain should run off and not pool. the poles are also setup to have a very slight down-angle as they go away from the Jeep.

based on the test fit, it looks like it would work fine to have a place to cook and such, but there's not a ton of room, so i'm working on version 2.1 before i do the final welding.

as you can see i have a lot of tarp length that isn't being used...

IMG_6653.JPG

...so i'm working on lengthening the poles to take advantage of all that additional material. unfortunately i need redo the mounts a little for that. of course it's all still an experiment too, it might fold up and mangle at the first gust of wind - we'll see.

more pics when i get the longer pole setup complete!