theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

Very ingenious! Supposed to storm tomorrow night and Monday so may have your opportunity to test it.

love it! excellent work!

I love the stuff you come up with. I want to download your brain. Seems like it'd be a pretty nice upgrade to mine.

thanks guys!

Loren, thanks for the heads up - i'll be sure to set it up if the storm comes through!

SteeleJay - i don't think you'd like that download, there's a lot of crazy packaged in there too ;)

Very ingenious! Supposed to storm tomorrow night and Monday so may have your opportunity to test it.

all we got was a light drizzle :(

We had 60mph straight line winds down here. Luck or lack there of the draw!

it looked like there was going to be a great "awning test" storm tonight, but the rain only lasted about 15 minutes and then everything passed.

IMG_6885.JPG

i was able to find out a couple things in that short time...

- the awning did ok in the heavy winds, but they were brief, so the jury's still out on structural integrity!

- the jeep will need to be pointed up-hill for it to work. i actually angled the awning up and away from the Jeep, trying to get water to run towards the top of the rig versus coming off the tarp's outer edge, but i wasn't thinking about having the hatch hatch open when i did that! with the hatch up and the Jeep pointed down-hill, a pool forms in the tarp right behind the hatch :(

i think if the Jeep has it's nose up-hill it will be ok... before i could test that direction, the storm ran away. hopefully i won't have to cut and re-angle the pole receiver mounts - ugh!

it did at least survive me moving the Jeep with everything attached (i turned around in the street to point it up-hill right before the storm stopped) ;)

it did at least survive me moving the Jeep with everything attached (i turned around in the street to point it up-hill right before the storm stopped) ;)

That in itself is impressive. It's structurally sound, you'll just need the weather channel with doplar radar in motion so you know where to park if there's a storm coming...

well, darn it and such...

IMG_6899.JPG

speaking of bumpers, i saw this on the facebook made by some guy named Daniell Till. i really like how it came out, though i'd still like to cut the front crossmember out and tuck the winch in more.

fb-daniel-till-wj-bumper-1.jpg

fb-daniel-till-wj-bumper-2.jpg

i'm also going to save this link here for myself one day, DIY front bumper mounting brackets:

http://ggcustommetalfab.com/99-04-wj-front-mounting-bracket-kit?ReturnUrl=LwBqAGUAZQBwAC0AYgB1AG0AcABlAHIAcwAtAGMAdQBzAHQAbwBtAC0AYgB1AG0AcABlAHIAcwA%3d

There are a couple of bumpers coming out the delete the crossmember and push the winch inwards a bit. One such bumper is this type, made by a member of one of the Jeep WJ groups on Facebook:

2oQJIxu.jpg

The gentleman who makes them does it in sort of a modular sort of fashion, so it can be made as a "stubby" style bumper, or with the "Headlight rails" and with/without the lights and shackle mounts.