theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

There are a couple of bumpers coming out the delete the crossmember and push the winch inwards a bit. One such bumper is this type, made by a member of one of the Jeep WJ groups on Facebook:

2oQJIxu.jpg

The gentleman who makes them does it in sort of a modular sort of fashion, so it can be made as a "stubby" style bumper, or with the "Headlight rails" and with/without the lights and shackle mounts.

yeah i saw him build the first one for his own jeep on a JeepForum thread - looks nice and he is the first to try and commercialize the crossmember delete on a WJ. IRO has been toying with the idea of selling a similar center section. i haven't seen details on their prototype yet but i don't like how this guy did the delete really. he removed too much of the factory metal for my taste...

people seem to think that if you weld really thick metal in somewhere that it's always "better" than the factory stuff. they don't appreciate that a ton of engineering went into all that stamped and formed factory sheetmetal to make it strong from many angles, able to absorb impact in such a way that minimizes the force transfer to other areas, and at the same time keeping the weight down as much as possible. i'm not saying the factory setup can't be improved upon, i just think that many of the folks who go hacking away stuff aren't taking into account complex concepts like torsional rigidity, shear strength, etc.

i'd rather leave as much factory metal as possible and attach to it by "sandwiching" it in some places and using every possible existing mounting location (like for the sway bar and tow hooks). then do minimal actual welding to the existing structure.

I like that first bumper. Looks good but difficult to clean around. Especially bugs.

so i have new lower control arm bushings, new "problem solver" (thicker) Mopar valve cover gaskets, a centered steering wheel, a couple new TRE boots, and a freshly greased chassis thanks to On Point Offroad & Performance.

the bad news is that Joe told me it looks like i have a rear main seal leak as well. i took her to the car wash and cleaned for a long time to try and make sure it wasn't just pooled oil from the old valve cover leak coming out of the bellhousing inspection plate. after another whole day there's plenty of fresh oil at the bottom again, so i think there really is a leak - ugh!

so i have new lower control arm bushings, new "problem solver" (thicker) Mopar valve cover gaskets, a centered steering wheel, a couple new TRE boots, and a freshly greased chassis thanks to On Point Offroad & Performance.

!

More info on those valve cover gaskets please, or email of On Point... thanks.

That's one good looking group!! I'm hoping to be back together in the next couple weeks!!

More info on those valve cover gaskets please, or email of On Point... thanks.

i just did a quick search and couldn't find anything - but i did notice that now FelPro has 2 different part numbers for the regular versus H.O. gasket sets... i don't know if they always did or if i got the correct ones before when i tried that brand.

EDIT - actually O'Reilly was where i saw 2 different part numbers for the FelPro gaskets for an H.O. versus a regular engine. however, FelPro's actual catalog only lists 2 different parts for a 99-03 versus 04-07 Jeep 4.7L engine. i read on another forum that the 04+ are thicker/wider.

04-07: FelPro #260-1969

99-03: FelPro #260-1968

i'll PM Joe on facebook and ask him if he has a part # for whatever he was talking about...

Lafawnduh had her 200k birthday just before we left for the Hole in the Rock trip, wasn't paying enough attention and missed getting a pic right when it turned over :(

1008150213a.jpg

:eek: 200k! Congrats!

thanks! not on original engine or trans though :(