theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

Powertrain Products.com had the best deal on 4.7's HO and other. I highly recommend them, as their support was amazing when I cracked the block and another engine was delivered 2 days later at no cost.

thanks Kris.

Bradywgn71 (Chris!): I have also purchased a reman engine. The covers that didn't leak on the old motor leaked on the new one. I replaced the covers (BOTH sets Magnesuim, OE on my 00 WJ, non HO) and 3 gaskets (even tried RTV). Im still getting leaking. I have not checked the heads for flatness yet

The problem is that oil collects at the #8 corner of the head and it just puddles there.

i got underneath this weekend and can confirm the leak has started again in the back corner of the driver side (where it always starts). can't really see up to the passenger side well enough to be certain, but if one is leaking then the other probably will again too.

not sure what's next, gotta talk to Joe to see if he or any of his industry contacts has any ideas.

HI MEN,

I really like how I was very GOOD WORK JUST BUY ONE OH 2005 LE INSTALL AND FULL OF 4.5 LIFT KIT RC20151029_140031_zpstb9jmbau.jpg

got my SYE back from Tom Woods and installed it last night...

putting everything back together is basicly just the reverse of the disassembly... only one issue, getting the lock rings back on was a big pain, untill i decided to just take the Dremel with a cutting wheel and put a couple tiny grooves in the ring as shown below so the my snap ring pliers wouldn't keep slipping off:

here's the final assembly:

P1030603.JPG

P1030607.JPG

everything that came back from Tom Woods was quality stuff, came back clean and with perfect tolerances, no slop in how any of the parts fit, and the flange is very heavy duty.

this should be a great new option for those of you with 242HD's, call Tom for a current price (http://www.4xshaft.com)

Question for you on sealing up the case. I am going to split the 242HD I just picked up so I can reseal it, as well as replace all the seals. I've read in my FSM to use "MOPAR Gasket Maker" which a Google search reveals is an anaerobic sealant. However, in the FSM for the rear bearing retainer it calls for some MOPAR product or "Loctite Ultra Grey", which I believe to be more of an RTV product than an anaerobic sealant. What did you choose to go with when you resealed yours, and how has your luck been with leaks? Looks like from the pics some sort of RTV product, and that's what I'm leaning toward instead of an anaerobic sealant but wanted to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance!

Question for you on sealing up the case. I am going to split the 242HD I just picked up so I can reseal it, as well as replace all the seals. I've read in my FSM to use "MOPAR Gasket Maker" which a Google search reveals is an anaerobic sealant. However, in the FSM for the rear bearing retainer it calls for some MOPAR product or "Loctite Ultra Grey", which I believe to be more of an RTV product than an anaerobic sealant. What did you choose to go with when you resealed yours, and how has your luck been with leaks? Looks like from the pics some sort of RTV product, and that's what I'm leaning toward instead of an anaerobic sealant but wanted to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance!

i've always used loctite grey or permatex ultra grey to seal the halves of t-cases, they are both RTV for high-torque applications. i've never had a leak from them.

FYI - i found that using the caulking tube size instead of the little squeeze tube makes it MUCH easier to get a precise size bead, and your fingers don't get tired! just cut the tip so only a small opening is given. http://amzn.to/1kPmN03

Thanks a bunch for your reply.

FYI - i found that using the caulking tube size instead of the little squeeze tube makes it MUCH easier to get a precise size bead, and your fingers don't get tired! just cut the tip so only a small opening is given. http://amzn.to/1kPmN03

^^ And what a fantastic idea...I had thought about this to myself, wondering if there was an easier way besides those small foil tubes that are basically one time use. I figured they wouldn't be enough but hadn't searched for a larger container yet. Do you just use a caulking gun with it then?

Thanks a bunch for your reply.

^^ And what a fantastic idea...I had thought about this to myself, wondering if there was an easier way besides those small foil tubes that are basically one time use. I figured they wouldn't be enough but hadn't searched for a larger container yet. Do you just use a caulking gun with it then?

yes indeed, regular old $5 caulking gun works fine!

the tablet setup performed pretty darn well on it's maiden voyage this weekend!

P1070305.JPG

the audio wasn't loud enough, but i knew that was still a problem going in. i worked on that a bit today and i think i'm getting it closer to being dialed in.

i used Copilot Live just a bit to test it out, but since I had 4G most of the freeway part of the trip, i just used Google Maps (seeing traffic ahead of time is great!). Backcountry Navigator worked very well during the off-highway portion of the trip. the recently beefed up mount was perfect - solid as a rock through all the whoops, ditches, and rock-strewn-washes. the Tasker profiles i setup for when the Jeep was on/off worked as expected too. having 10" of a map screen is friggen fantastic, i can reach this thing easier than the previous touchscreen, and it works in direct sunlight a million times better - i can't believe i didn't do this project sooner!

if you arrive to patent the project or decider sell the assembled team certainly am the first to buy it I think it's a perfect idea to use all the aplcaciones you need and much better than a reporductor screen has a good aesthetic looks nice and is functional for whatever you like , it hurts here in Venezuela we do not have the tools to perform the complete adaption . if you like to do again put price.

Hey man awesome rig and great build im swapping in a JK HP D30 up front right now, im having hell with pinion angles right now. I bent the stock axle pretty much into a smiley face on one trail. I had the axle givin to me so I figured id just use it. If theres any way we could PM id like to pick your brain about a few things on your rig I want to do to mine. Heres a few pictures. Just a 4inch LA on 31s.

jeep15.jpg.c8962b78f75afcc47f30246662cca4b1.jpg

jeep14.thumb.jpg.2c59586c755a4c6d011ccd9073c20932.jpg

jeep8.thumb.jpg.03e5ec93fe49874953521d8cc737e5da.jpg

1014074_444084502389216_1744094478_n.jpg.b0b94b8546b8e4c6130cb7580b145212.jpg

1525727_911323618883500_1520941547284370941_n.jpg.fff658552ce650bd90b79de03f63672d.jpg

9289_911323412216854_6797470259528302390_n.jpg.f20a80a5aae4b95a70be25d6ea91a097.jpg