theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

Sorry all for my late response, I forgot to subscribe to the thread. I bought a JKrubi D44 for the back and I should have a 231J for a swap next week. It will have a 247 input and a SYE with a VSS. My thoughts on the ABS. I don't really care for ABS and I read a thread on mall crawlin about how to use the rear driverside ABS harness to splice into the VSS from the tcase for a speed signal. I will still have to add some kind of speedo modifier, I've used the superlift in the past and know there is one available for my WJ, so I'll likely use one of those. I thought I would simply disconnect the ABS harnesses from the wheels and discontinue using ABS. Thoughts? My budget unfortunately will not allow for a front axle swap too, so for now, I'm going to have to stick with the rear JKd44 and front WJ30. I will likely regear the front to 4:10 and install an electric locker for now. When I owned my rubicon, I hardly used the front locker anyways. For axle shafts, eventually I'll likely use RCVs. The front driveshaft is the double cardon style already thankfully and I think I may be able to reuse it rather than having a new one made. I will definately have a DC made for the back. As for the front bumper, I saw how vulnerable the front end is and I'll be looking at that closely before I do any serious offroading. As soon as the build starts, I'll start a build thread with pictures. I'll gladly take any suggestions, comments, or how to's. Thanks all, Chad.

Saw you going east on the 202 near the I10 around noon. The jeep is looking really good!

I can go through a number of reasons in my head as to why I'd like to swap out the WJ30 for a front JK rubicon D44. You mentioned I should look for something ASAP for a swap for the front if I'm keeping a DD, why? At least for now, I think I should be fine w/ gears, locker, and shafts for the front.

Here is the thread I found for the ABS/VSS:

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22581-NP231-speed-sensor-voltage-requirement

I took the GC up the backway to Crown King today for Desert rats customer appreciation day, in stock form it did excellent!

Thanks,

Chad.

I can go through a number of reasons in my head as to why I'd like to swap out the WJ30 for a front JK rubicon D44. You mentioned I should look for something ASAP for a swap for the front if I'm keeping a DD, why? At least for now, I think I should be fine w/ gears, locker, and shafts for the front.

my assumption was that if it was a DD you would want to keep the ABS functional, that was all.

Saw you going east on the 202 near the I10 around noon. The jeep is looking really good!

kewl, i met an old friend for lunch down in Tempe. jeep's pretty dirty, and has a fairly new long scratch from Windshield Rock a few weeks ago - but glad it still looks good from far away! ;)

I gotcha. Yeah, I really not a big fan of ABS. If you think of anything else, any suggestions or anything before I start turning the wrenches, please let me know. Thank you, Chad.

P1140027.JPG

made a new "oven". the old one worked great, but was too small for 2 decent size burritos. the new one is again made from a loaf-pan and a piece of aluminum, but i used the largest size pan, a sturdier brass hinge, and a different type of latch. i also made a better mount for it so that it doesn't sag down and touch the fuel line where it feeds the rail.

these 2 emissions hard-lines had to be cut shorter to make room for the larger pan, then i just got longer rubber line to run to them:

P1140021.JPG

the new latch:

P1140020.JPG

the new mount goes from the ABS system main bolt over to the top of the engine where there is a large stud for an engine hoist. i made it out of one piece of aluminum angle and another flat bar with 2 bends:

P1140026.JPG

i also put a foam strip around the lid edges to seal water/dust out and keep any wind from robbing the heat buildup.

P1140027.JPG

Whats the story with the pump looking thing on in the lower right corner of the picture?

I believe that is part of his shower system.