Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

I know the feeling K... That passenger side valve cover sucks!

IMG_4536.JPG

How did you make out on the drag link repair? From your close up picture it looked like the offending piece had RH threads?? If the tube threads needed repair I was going to offer to check at work and see if I had the necessary tap. Maybe even in both LH and RH threads.

thanks dude! i think it's ok though. i was able to thread the new TRE in without any issue. had to cut the dead TRE in half to get the nut off though! i put a new TRE on each end and kept the old one that was still intact to use as a spare.

i'm going to draw a line through each TRE, jam nut, and tie rod so i can watch for any movement.

while i was messing with it i decided to put on the new steering stabilizer i've had sitting in a box for a while. i found one of the u-bolts holding the tie-rod end mount was stripped. of course no-one around here had a 1 5/8" u-bolt! and i never liked that set up anyway so i ordered the synergy clamp: http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-Fox-Steering-Stabilizer-Tie-Rod-Clamp-p-18077.html

PPM-8003-D1-400.jpg

I know the feeling K... That passenger side valve cover sucks!

i knew you'd sympathize with that!

both sides are now done with new mopar gaskets and some rtv around the outside. also replaced the gasket on the oil filler thingy with a new mopar one. replaced all the injectors with rebuilt, flow-matched 4-hole ones. new PCV and other breather valves.

put most of the wires and hoses back together but still have a few things to put back on before i can call it done, will finish in the morning.

got everything back together, went to carwash to degrease everything well and noticed this (front axle)...

IMG_4539.JPG

bottom:

IMG_4540.JPG

back side:

IMG_4542.JPG

fudge.

I don't think Goop can fix this.

G :cool:

I forget K, is that front D44 sleeved? It looks like it cracked next to a rosette weld for a sleeve. That does suck though.

I forget K, is that front D44 sleeved? It looks like it cracked next to a rosette weld for a sleeve. That does suck though.

yes & yes it did

Dang! Bummer! Might be time for a truss. Drill the ends of the crack. Grind out the crack part way on the depth and weld it.

That sux K. We both have big ticket issues going on right now..

That sux K. We both have big ticket issues going on right now..

what did you break ;)