Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

Kris… FYI…

Below is an exerpt taken from RCV's website: http://www.rcvperformance.com/pdf/rcv_cv_axles_catalog.pdf

SUPER DUTY CHROMOLY DOME-MASS CAGE AND RACE WITH SPHERICAL SEALING TECHNOLOGY

- Input and output shafts always make equal angles allowing shaft speeds to remain constant

- Housing, bearing cage, inner-race, and axle shaft are manufactured with aircraft quality high alloy steel, and proprietary construction techniques to make them highly resistant to bursting and fracture.

- Spherical Sealing Technology (SST) utilizes a cast polyurethane cap to provide far greater resistance to punctures and tears than a rubber CV boot. SST is rock-proof, and will not bunch or balloon. This is a patented RCV technology.

- Design allows tight steering angles up to 45 degrees, and provides high strength throughout range of motion.

- REM Polished for reduced friction, smooth-action, and decreased wear.

- Low maintenance - Unlike U-joints that must be greased almost every time you go out, Ultimate CV axles only need grease a couple times a year, and are easily serviced via a zerk fitting.

- Constant Velocity joint eliminates U-joint binding - allowing smooth transfer power to the ground, and eliminating steering wheel oscillation.

obviously i missed that, but i'm still not seeing anything about adjusting steering stops or about degree limits in the install instructions. if it's a concern then i'd expect it to be called out prominently there, before you end up having to email them and find out the limitations of the product and the supposed "no questions asked" warranty at the same time.

Thx for the info. That's pretty lame you get to find out about it later tho. I hate it when companies do that!

my parents drove out from VA last week, so i took them wheeling on the Log Corral trail. my mom had been on a long expedition (to the Maze) with me before, but neither of them had ever been through any rock crawling. i figured Log Corral had a little of everything - scenery, trail, brush, desert, hills, articulation challenges, rock crawl, etc.

bradywgn and G&D came with us - thanks guys!

the rock garden is really filled in with sand, you can still do the first waterfall, but it's entirely optional now and the next "turtle" rock is no big deal anymore if you take the lower bypass... after that there is a small climb and some rocks to weave but not the cluster that it used to be... here's a shot of my dub taken by D in the area that used to be full of diff catchers, all filled in with sand now:

DSCN7719.JPG

bradywgn on the second little climb:

DSCN7724.JPG

and clifford:

DSCN7727.JPG

the brushy area was even more brushy than the last time i was there:

DSCN7737.JPG

coming down toward the lake after the saddle was washed out more than last time as well... Chris looks crazy tippy on this part:

DSCN7748.JPG

DSCN7750.JPG

coming back up it:

DSCN7760.JPG

DSCN7761.JPG

all the pics so far where from Diane, thanks for sharing D!

i was lazy and didn't take pics, but here are a few more shot by Chris:

DSCN6398.JPG

DSCN6404.JPG

the lake was pretty low:

DSCN6424.JPG

DSCN6428.JPG

DSCN6438.JPG

i think my parents had a fairly good time, my dad walked a fair amount because he doesn't like getting jostled in the rough stuff - but he's used to trail running in the woods of VA, so no biggie for him. they both think the off-camber stuff and rock-crawling is insane! my dad said something about realizing that it takes skill to do some of it, but that we also have to be not right in the head either ;)

DSCN6438.JPG

Glad your folks had fun. Wow, the rockcrawling section looks more like a sandy wash now! And what the heck is someone holding out the passenger side window in this photo? Looks like a 1920's Polaroid camera..

I really can't find fault with your dad's logic!

I really can't find fault with your dad's logic!

;)

last week i ripped out the entire tablet system, and disconnected all my accessory wiring coming into the interior switch panel.

i'm simplifying the wiring and accessories related to the tablet system. i also ordered a new 4 channel amp and 4 new speakers. i was disappointed at the audio during the last camping trip's movie showing so i'm hoping to improve that dramatically.

i already finished cleaning up all the wiring behind my switch panel already with these:

http://amzn.to/1xoRcoE

61s4Dw0ImiL._SL400_.jpg

http://amzn.to/1ySvF5X

61uNBj6AyoL._SL400_.jpg

i was previously using these strips as bus bars: http://www.radioshack.com/12-position-european-style-mini-terminal-strip/2740680.html#start=3

but it had gotten messy in general and also i didn't like the way those just clamped down on bare wire - now everything has a crimped spade connector on it and then is then clamped down on a terminal strip. i also labeled all my wires once i remembered or traced out what they were for!

still using the same switch panel, but i need to update the label as there's no "PC" anymore (the tablet just comes on with the Jeep). i also need some more lights or something for those other switches to control ;)

IMG_0093.JPG

the new amp/speakers should be here monday, i'm excited to get that all in.

Cool Stuff Kris… Looks like you too were cleaning up wiring issues this past week… :P

Very nice, you and Steve are giving me some great ideas for all the wiring Bill and I still have to do on the ZJ.

Cool Stuff Kris… Looks like you too were cleaning up wiring issues this past week… :P

yup! nice job on Gracie too!

Very nice, you and Steve are giving me some great ideas for all the wiring Bill and I still have to do on the ZJ.

FYI - i noticed that some of the Autozones/Pep Boys/NAPA near me have started to carry multi-position ATC/ATO fuse blocks similar to the one Steve just installed. or plan ahead for several circuits with the busman waterproof relay & fuse block that PMA4x4 (Rob) sells: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35800&postcount=13 - have one like it that i got before he started carrying them and i love it, really cleans things up.