theksmith

TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig

Christmas Eve is only one week away!

Christmas Eve is only one week away!

i know! it got half done tonight though :)

today G replaced my motor mounts while i did some electrical stuff on Clifford. he definitely got the hard part of that bargain - thanks G!

the mounts have been pretty trashed for a while now, they don't seem to last more than about a year really. i assume it's just that they are made to be luxury mounts that are really soft as to not transmit lots of vibes (lots of empty space in them). i don't think they are meant to deal with the heavy V8 thrashing around offroad so much of the time.

however, i couldn't find anyone that made poly mounts for the v8 WJ. so on a recent trip i was discussing how to improve them with some sort of 2-part poly mixture or maybe RTV and Bradywgn71 suggested using the urethane that is for putting car windshields in... after a search online, i found several few people have used actually done just that.

brand new factory mopar mounts, with the little bit of rubber flashing cut out of the holes so that the urethane could connect all the way through:

IMG_4978.JPG

and the finished product after a few days to cure:

IMG_4979.JPG

i used a full tube of 3M 08609 Window-Weld, available on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1sZpsaV

it's pretty thick goo and definitely gives the forearm a workout by the time you get an entire tube emptied from the caulking gun.

so we'll see what happens... will it make them last longer? will it just crack and come loose from the rubber? why do aliens only visit people that are missing so many teeth? who knows!

it does transfer a little more vibration, as expected. engine vibes aren't really more noticeable (at idle) though - mainly i can just feel a little more of my driveline vibes at 70+ MPH. those were already present, they are just slightly more pronounced now. of course it could be from the angles changing due to the new mounts lifting the saggy engine 3/4" or so.

This is only a test, hope it works.

G :cool:

IMG_5106.JPG

Merry Christmas everyone! only a couple more days till there's reindeer poop on all the rooftops!

I had never heard of that modification to fill the motor mount voids. Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Btw: I sure hope you used gloves with that 3M product. That stuff is really tough to get off your skin.

Back in my tuner days, we used to fill the motor mounts with seam sealer to strengthen and stiffen them. The urethane idea is just the same. Should be a good mod. I'll be interested to see how they last compared to the stock mount.

Merry Christmas!