Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

9/23/2012: Breakfast and Trail! (Easy 4x4) (Near Payson, AZ)

P1060721.JPGP1060714.JPGP1060715.JPG

Come have breakfast and then run a short trail near Payson, AZ. Join us for both or just the trail ride!

Itinerary

Sunday, September 23

BREAKFAST: Meet at
Laura's Small Cafe
in Payson at
9:00 AM
Please bring cash to make splitting the bill easier!

Map:
http://goo.gl/maps/KqkaJ

TRAIL RUN: Meet at the cafe at
10:30 AM
if you want to just come for the trail ride. We'll do a quick driver's meeting in the parking lot and then head up the 87 as a group to the trailhead.

The run should take about 3 hours. We'll pick up the trail just a bit North of Payson off the 87 and then end up on a road that will take us right back into the middle of Payson.

Bring plenty to drink and some snacks. You might also bring a lunch to eat at the end of the trail if you want to hang out for a few in the shade there.

Trail Description

This trail is rated easy, probably a 2.5 on the 5 point scale. It is mostly dirt and gravel with some well rutted places and some spots have small shelfy rocks.

The trail is suitable for stock high-clearance 4x4 rigs (Wrangler, Tacoma, etc.), or other 4x4's with a small budget lift. Skid plates would be helpful on lower vehicles. A set of tow-points (front or rear) are required just in case.

95% of the trail is fairly wide, but the final river crossing is not suitable for full-size trucks.

Leading:

theksmith

Attending:

klaykrusher

J.R.

lofreqjeff

Just reply to this thread to signup!

We might be down for this - What is the name of the trail? I'd like to see if its in one of my various trail books.

IN!

Ok - I discussed it with my better half and we're in for sure!

We were up in Payson this weekend and stopped in at Laura's to check it out. Looks like a great place for breakfast.

We might be down for this - What is the name of the trail? I'd like to see if its in one of my various trail books.

it's just a forest road - FR 209A / CrackerJack Rd. - start just south of the Tonto National Bridge road. it only took me just over a couple hours to run it, so i figured maybe 3 hours with a group. it just seemed like a nice mild trail - a little more challenging that a typical forest road, but nothing beyond a stock vehicle's capability.

Soooo.....is this run still on even though there are only 4 of us planning on going? We're going to be up on Payson camping and we were planning on meeting up for breakfast and the trail run then head home - I hope so!

As far as I’m concerned, As long as there are still two rigs going, its still on....Heck 4's a party!:D

Yup. I'll be there!

Hey K dude. I'm going to be up there for the weekend and I'm going to try to meet up with you. Don't wait for me or anything but I'll probably meet you after breakfast for the run.