PMA4x4

Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Confounded contraption!

rearbumperv2-036.jpg

More work done today.

rearbumperv2-037.jpg

rearbumperv2-038.jpg

Thanks to Sean257 over on the Expo portal forum for the idea

Working on the passenger side swing out arm now. This one will hold two Jerry Cans, a 20lb C02 bottle and a 12lb Propane tank.

Only one place was selling a mount for the some what popular 12lb bottle. so I made one myself. Its still ugly but its the first prototype. This one will work but already I am going to have another ran off with some tweaks.

Ignore the small holy gussets on top. It needed something up there and those were laying around.

propanemount-001.jpg

propanemount-002.jpg

propanemount-003.jpg

propanemount-004.jpg

propanemount-005.jpg

propanemount-006.jpg

Nothing wrong with holy gussets, saves on weight.

It's been a while since I have posted up so I thought I would get some updates posted.

Well its been a couple months with the sliders and they have been awesome. They work great for everything they were designed for. stepping on, bouncing off, lifting and good old protection. and yes sliding!:D However... One thing I did not anticipate (well I did a little but not this much) was the amount of road noise and vibration transferred to the body. I had expected some but this is frankly annoying as hell!:eek1:

So I will remove the frame mounted hing bushing and in place put a "L" plate that bolts onto the side and underneath the frame and weld the 2x2" legs to that and remove the pinch seam bolts. It will then float their like a normal Frame mounted slider/step.

I would not call it a failure, just a learning experience. and I wont loose much in cost rebuilding the frame mounts.

Rear bumper updates.

The passenger side swing out has had me perplexed for a few weeks trying to figure out how to get the hi-lift, propane tank, CO2 tank and two Jerry cans on there. Well the Muse finally hit me Monday and I figure it out.

Both swing outs are done. Right now I am creating the skirt that will cover up the gap between the body and the bumper. This bumper sits higher then normal so the OEM plastic skirt I don't think would work. I don't know because i don't have mine anymore to verify.

Installed the Destaco latch today and am thinking of using pop-pins to lock the arms in the open position. I hope to do the final drive test with it fully loaded on a washboard road we have a couple miles away.

Anyways, here are some pics. Some are form my phone so quality may not be normal.

rearbumperv2-039.jpg

rearbumperv2-046.jpg

rearbumperv2-047.jpg

rearbumperv2-048.jpg

rearbumperv2-049.jpg

rearbumperv2-050.jpg

rearbumperv2-051.jpg

rearbumperv2-052.jpg

rearbumperv2-053.jpg

More rear bumper pics

rearbumperv2-040.jpg

rearbumperv2-041.jpg

rearbumperv2-042.jpg

rearbumperv2-043.jpg

rearbumperv2-044.jpg

One of the main ideas was to be capable of opening just the one door and get in with out having to swing open both arms.

rearbumperv2-045.jpg

nicely done, i dig the fold down step.

fully loaded, did it point your nose up? it looks beefy.

It probably is but I have new heavy 3/4 ton springs and other suspension goodies going in soon.