Sign in to follow this  
PMA4x4

Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Hey guys, Yeah Im still alive.

We got back from our Cross country trip last october and just got busy. so here are some updates.

I got back into Motorcycles so I have been riding my dual sport a lot lately. My wife got into it for the first time so we have been riding a lot. In fact I've got so far into the bikes that I am starting to offer parts for them. I also got some classic Honda ATVs and am doing a partial resurrection/restoration on an '85 HOnda 250SX 3 wheeler.

As I mentioned in a earlier post I have to fix the dual swing outs. Hoping to finally get to that next week.

The motor project is still on the table. The block and crank is all machined and in storage for now. I still have to acquire almost all the parts.

Never got to painting the Mule last winter. I hope to finally get to it this fall. Just hope the paint is still good.

I am no longer selling the cheap LED lights. I had too many issues and the company decided to handle all the problems by dropping all their dealers. I am now selling Rigids and have not had one come back yet. When I get around to it I am pulling all the lights off the Mule and changing over to Rigids.

I may have a line on a small bench top 1/2" tube bender. If I can nab that I can bend up a new roof rack and make it slimmer and more aerodynamic.

I got the new axles shafts in a while back and they are still working just fine which makes me suspect i did not have enough fluid in the diff. Typically you reach your correct amount of fluid when it spills out the drain hole. well I did that the first time then drove cross country and toasted the shafts. This time I measured out the amount needed and tilted the axle up on one end and fill it up. so far so good. The pinion is at the correct angle and not aiming straight so that was not a fill issue. A few of us suspect the Auburn is displacing the fluid a bit but even that seems odd. Either way it's working now.

As overkill awesome (and a bit novel) as the center control panel was I am going to cut back the amount of switches and add a few more USB charging parts and make most of that panel section a little "cubby hole" so there is a place to put all the camera gear and gopros and such to charge while on the road. On that subject the whole wiring and console project really paid off during our trip. really made things a lot easier.

The A/C is out in the Mule so thats another reason no trips this summer. We brokes records just last week. Fry an egg on concrete you say? There is a guy that posted a video of pan frying a steak on his driveway a couple days ago.

Another thing is a few months ago I quit my day job and took my business full time so thats added a challenge in life and has kept me busy.

The other thing that's been on our mind and is sucking up my research time is we are considering purchasing a Class C RV this winter.

So to recap

YES... I am still alive

Been busy

Still love my Mule!

Great to hear from you I was wondering where you guys have been. Sounds like you've got a full plate, good luck on all your projects! You guys should get out with us this fall/winter...

Thanks,

I guess when we tag along we will be replacing large marge's shoes!

damn...I just read through your whole thread here....im speechless, what an absolutely amazing build. some of the ingenuity in this suburban is outstanding. well done sir, well done. keep up the good work and glad to see you are back!

Hey guys Im still around. Just been busy with life. As much as I love the truck it is going to be hitting the market and we are going to get back into a CJ, maybe a YJ. Its been a fun truck and a great building experience. We have since purchased a class C RV and some Dual sport bikes so we have been doing that a lot. The truck is almost sad sitting there all alone. Ive learned a lot from this build and I plan to implement some of these ideas into the CJ. I will also take the planned 5.7 TPI that was slated for the truck and move it in top the Jeep. We want to be able to pull the Jeep behind the RV and we plan to get mor einto local 4x4 search and Rescue to having a smaller vehicle will help in tighter spots. We miss that Open air feeling of the CJ.

wow, major news there!

glad to hear that you plan to stay in the 4x4 community still though with a CJ or YJ.

Glad to see you're still alive and still going to be into off-road stuff!

Man... all the pics are broken. :-(