Sign in to follow this  
GRUNT

Transmission Crossmember

Believe it or not, my YJ project is moving forward. Tomorrow I would like to order a transmission crossmember kit. I have found a kit that does what I want but have questions. Through research I found this is a way to create a mount that is independent of the belly skid. Thus I can remove the belly skid and perform maintenance without having to support the drive train. My question is...this kit uses poly bushings to tie it in but can I/do I still use the standard rubber mount at the drive train? I am afraid if I delete the rubber mount, that the poly will vibrate my jeep apart(as was my experience before with a poly trans mount.) I think the poly at the ends of the crossmember is rigid enough that even with the rubber mount at the drive line, it would not be too much give/flex. If someone does not recommend still using the rubber mount at the drive line, could I replace the polys with traditional rubber bushings?

The universal transmission crossmember kit is designed to hold up your transmission independently of the skid plate.

This universal kit is designed to fit a variety of engine, transmission, and transfer case setups in your Jeep.

This is the same setup we have used for years on all our custom buildups.

The universal kit mounts to the inside of the frame above the skid plate. It allows the skid plate to be removed without lowering the transmission and transfer case assembly.

The main tube is made from heavy duty 1 3/4 x .120 wall DOM. The plate and tabs are made from 1/4" thick laser cut steel, supported by urethane bushings and grade 8 hardware.

Below are some pics.

UCM.jpg

UCM-installed.jpg

I have never used this kit, but if I was, I would use the factory trans mount with it. George:cool:

Allen,

Agree with G on this one... While the pic you posted shows it to be solid mounted to the trans, I would indeed use a rubber mount in between this kit and the trans...;)

Excellent, thank you gents. I called the manufacturer(a local company) and asked about rubber used in addition of the poly. He said it was designed to be a hard mount. I expressed my concern will poly's inability to give like rubber and that my Advanced Adapters engine mounts are rubber. We agreed you shouldn't mix the 2. Now even though the poly is at the ends of the mount(at the frame) I plan to use the rubber trans mount between the tranny and mount. My concern with this is that it would be too much play with rubber and the poly. My gut tells me it would not as the poly really is not forgiving, it would be like just like the ends were hard mounted to the frame. Thus I get support and still have the ability to remove the belly skid for preventative maintenance.

Allen,

This kit appears to be designed for use in tube frame rock buggies, where noise and vibrations are of almost no consequence, nor interest. And as you fear, I have no doubts that use of this in a street driven expedition style rig would be come annoying to say the least, in pretty short order.

If I were doing this type of c/mbr, I would fab my own, making provisions for it to be hard mounted to the frame, and for the skid to also attach to it, however, like was said earlier, I see no issue with the simplicity of using this kit, and adding a rubber mount to the trans for NVH absorption.

As for the whether one should use poly at the ends, and rubber in the center, there is not enough compliance (give) in the poly to fret about as it's not much different than being hard mounted anyway.;)

Poly comes In durometer ratings as far as hardness.

Stock rubber is 60 on a scale to 100.

Standard red poly is 70.

Î have a mix of solid steel and poly on the vette.

No problem.

The only way you could begin to notice a difference is if one control arm and 80 and one 60...and then you'd have to pay very close attention to perceive it.

Why are you worried, you don't even have a transmission to support:D;)

Really Mike?! I wait for your input and you snipe me with a joke? Ha ha, it was a good one though. :)

PS-How long has that CJ been sitting? ;)