Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

10/19 -10/21/2012 Cherry Creek Rd to Punkin Center

Thanks again Mike for leading us on a nice adventure!

P1060826.JPG

Great COMPANY, Cabins, Caves, Cowboys!! (The 4 C's of an awesome trip!) Scenic Detour to Young, Flat Tire, Indian Ruins, Gold Mine! Good Friends! Great Trip Mike! Thanks everyone for such a fun time!!

smiles, ladybug

Welcome home kids! Can't wait to see the pictures - especially the ones of the cowboys, Karen... :rolleyes:

We start out by crossing the Salt River, above Roosevelt Lake.

005.jpg

Heading north up Cherry Creek way. The guys warned us that the area had tons of rattlesnakes...and thankfully we didn't see one! But we did see alot of water! Quite a nice surprise! We had more water crossings than usual on this trip!

009.jpg

017.jpg

031.jpg

Check out the valley below. Water in these streams!

022.jpg

Onto our first lunch break - the trailhead to Indian ruins. The hike was 4 hours round trip and none of us felt like doing that, so we lunched and moved on. Another day! It was easy to understand why there are so many Indian ruins in this area....It seemed like almost every canyon we switchbacked through had water running in it.

053.jpg

Every corner was another WOW!

059.jpg

Our first night we pitched our tents/cots around the PB cabin. Roy, Tim, Devon, Mike, Jim, Kris....missing Jim from the pic.

075.jpg

076.jpg

The next morning we head down the trail once more. More Wows!

084.jpg

But what's this?! A trail off towards the east, heading down the hillside. Shall we check it out?! Yes indeed!!

088.jpg

094.jpg

106.jpg

The fall colors were out, and Tim just was wearing the right shirt!

109.jpg

We climb up on another ridge.

113.jpg

Bummer....gotta stop and change out a tire....Jim gets a flat from a damaged sidewall.

119.jpg

Those big tires are heavy. Loading them on the back is even worse, gotta lift the tire higher....

Kudos to all the guys who helped change out that tire.

121.jpg

Back on the trail again.

122.jpg

We pause along the trail as the cowboys are bringing a herd into the corral, right along the trail.

126.jpg

127.jpg

Yet another water crossing! Jim explained that this area was mostly alot of lava formation...so holes in the ground, springs, and running water.

135.jpg

We come across this old mining area! Jim said it appeared they were mining gold in the area.

138.jpg

After this detour trail takes us into Young, we come back along the Globe-Young road and head off to the west side of the road....Into forest land...

170.jpg

After a bit of a rougher, rockier (and funner!) trail, we arrive at the Dupont Cabin.

172.jpg

Checking out the corral

175.jpg

Sunday morning, getting ready to head out. (They look ready, don't they?!)

178.jpg

Coming down the hill...a bit steeper than it looks, and plenty of rocks here too! And more WOWs!!!

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

It was such a great trip! Perfect weather! Time to go Jeeping in Arizona!!!

Thanks for such fun and great company!!

smiles, ladybug

Looks like an awesome trip! What would you rate FR203 (from 1-5)? I am thinking about taking a trip up there to visit Devil's Chasm or Pueblo Canyon sometime this winter. I would like to come in from the south (like you did), camp somewhere close to these, then head out to the north. How long did it take you to do the drive along FR203 from pavement to pavement? Last question (okay, probably not the last :-), were those mining ruins in the picture on FR203 or the road to Dupont Cabin?

Thanks!

Matt,

The mine ruins were on the road to PB cabin, but in a roundabout way. We took an old spur off of 203 and followed it to what our GPS showed as Cherry Creek road. The mine was just outside of a private property area. We stopped to check out the mine and some old cars/truck. The co-ords where we stopped are : 34 00 885, 110 53 157 or very close to it.

If you want, I will send you my GPS track

Curly

Looks like an awesome trip! What would you rate FR203 (from 1-5)? I am thinking about taking a trip up there to visit Devil's Chasm or Pueblo Canyon sometime this winter. I would like to come in from the south (like you did), camp somewhere close to these, then head out to the north. How long did it take you to do the drive along FR203 from pavement to pavement? Last question (okay, probably not the last :-), were those mining ruins in the picture on FR203 or the road to Dupont Cabin?

Thanks!

FR203 is maybe a 2. you could do it all in 2wd when it's dry i think.

i've done it as a pretty long day trip before from phoenix. on this trip, we started FR203 at around 9:30 i think and we had lunch at the trailhead for devil's chasm